matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The views expressed in this op-ed are solely those of the author.

On October 6, Brett Kavanaugh received a vote of 50-48 from the Senate and became a Supreme Court Judge. I was taking a break from my homework, and I happened to check my phone. I was upset, I was angry, but I was not shocked.

I have not been shocked for a while.

I had class during the first of Dr. Ford’s testimony. Many of the people in my class were watching the trial live, either on our computers or phones. We watched while Dr. Ford accommodated her comfort, safety, and peace of mind during questioning. We also watched while Judge Kavanaugh avoided questions, shouted, and occasionally assumed a casual, boy-like air when discussing his past and relationship to alcohol.

Again, I was not shocked. Maybe taken aback that this was someone that people wanted on the Supreme Court, but not shocked. We have a president who brags about grabbing women “by the pussy”, so am I really supposed to be shocked?

That being said, I refuse to let my lack shock translate into silence. Do not stay silent. I read a New York Times article by Adam Liptak entitled “Confirming Kavanaugh: A Triumph for Conservatives, but a Blow to the Court’s Image.” Remember that this trial did not come without protests and discussions. Regardless of Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation, he did not receive the votes with ease. Remember that.

Go out and vote. For the love of all that is good, go out and vote. Do your research. Judge Kavanaugh received his confirmation by two votes. Do not believe that your vote does not count.

Do not target Judge Kavanaugh’s children. Channel your thoughts and emotions and fear and panic into conversations. Children are separate from their parents.

Learn what consent means. You can revoke consent at any time. You can give consent at any time. Someone who is drunk cannot give consent. If you’re not sure, ask. Seriously. And don’t say that consent kills the mood. By definition, knowing for certain that someone wants to have sex with you is one of the sexiest things ever.

If you believe that Judge Kavanaugh could not be held guilty for his actions because of statutes of limitations and a lack of official trial, then work to make the justice system sympathetic towards the mental and physical impact of traumatic events that don’t comply to time limits.  

Your protests better be intersectional. Recognize the systematic forms of oppression that keep certain people down and invalid in the eyes of the law.

Call people out who use the excuse that “boys will be boys.” Do not do your boys a disservice by letting things like assault slide as part of growing up. Hold your boys to a higher standard.

Most importantly, though, refuse to get used to a lack of shock.

Becca Lo Presti is a junior at Hofstra University, where she is pursuing a BA in History with minors in Art History and French. She interns at the Nassau County Museum of Art and is also an on-campus Fellow at the Center for Civic Engagement. Huge fan of podcasts, dislikes the fact that she had to start drinking coffee this semester.