Celebrate the New Bing with Her Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Tired of getting the same old reviews of events, vacation hot spots, and restaurants when you search the Internet? Who are those writers anyway? With the new Bing –- you can hear straight from your Facebook friends and experts from Twitter about the new restaurant downtown or the best hotels to stay at in Hawaii and way more. Get Social with the new Bing and allow your Facebook friends and experts from Twitter (people you actually know and trust) to help you find what you are looking for.

With the new Bing whenever you enter a search on the site, on the right hand side of the page you will find the sidebar, which brings together friends, experts and enthusiasts from Facebook and Twitter into the search experience. “Within this column you will find the following sections: “Friends who might know,” “People who know,” and “Activity Feed.” Under the “Friends who might know section” Bing will surface any Facebook friends who have content – including likes, photos and profile information, that relate to what you’re searching for on Bing. Now you can see what your closest friends thought of, say, great diving spots in Costa Rica, while you’re looking for some yourself. Under the “People who know” section Bing surfaces content from relevant experts from across Twitter and blog that relates to your search. For example, while you’re still searching for great diving spots in Costa Rica you will be able to find opinions of people who have a lot of say about the topic, while you might not know them personally. And if that doesn’t quite give you enough information, you can ask friends what they thought of the topic you are searching for, directly from Bing. Your friends can respond through Facebook or Bing and even post relevant links to help you more! All their advice will show up in your “Activity Feed,” along with questions from friends about what they’re searching for. Since each activity shows up in both your Bing Activity Feed and your Facebook News Feed, you can like and comment on an activity.

So, since your searches have gone social, why not get social to celebrate! Bing and Her Campus are hosting a celebration on Monday, July 9th in NYC! Come enjoy and evening of complementary drinks, appetizers, music, and prizes, and watch as the new Bing comes to life! Not to mention, at the event you can enter to win an Xbox 360 console with Kinect and Xbox Live, a Windows Phone, or a Lenovo Ultrabook . So what are you waiting for? Register here for a chance to party with Bing and Her Campus and check www.hercampus.com/bing for all the event details in the coming weeks!

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!