Campus Celebrity: Hayle Krigel ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re a member of Hofstra’s School of Communication, chances are you’ve seen senior Hayle Krigel around Dempster Hall. Krigel is the only female face on Hofstra’s Sports Beat and thrives in the male dominated arena of sports broadcasting. Read on to see why she’s this week’s Campus Celeb.

Whats your major at Hofstra and why did you choose it?

Broadcast  journalism is my major. I had always wanted to be a sideline sports reporter since I was little. The women were always so beautiful and I always strived to be like them with such confidence.

What are you involved with on campus?

I am currently the update anchor for Sports Beat. I also am the news hub Anchor and soon to be sports anchor for Hofstra Today. I am also involved in WRHU sports and I am the current beat reporter for Hofstra wrestling.

What do you think has been your biggest accomplishment since entering Hofstra?

Just having the mindset that I can really accomplish my dreams if I put the time and effort into it.

How do you stay creative and stay inspired to work in such a competitive field?

When you want something so bad you will do whatever it takes no matter how competitive it is.

Where have you interned or worked?

I have interned at Fox 5 in the sports department shadowing anchor Duke Castiglione, Ryan Assalta, and Tina Cervasio of the Knicks.

Where do you see yourself after graduation and do you have any advice for incoming Comm majors?

I see myself starting off in a small market and eventually returning back to New York and making a name for myself. My advice for new Comm majors is just be yourself and don’t change who you are just to impress others. They should like you for who you are.

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!