Campus Celebrity: Deb McCullagh ‘13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Major, Minor: Video/Television Production, Minor in English

Class Standing: Senior

What have you been involved with at Hofstra? What are you currently involved in?

I have been involved in HEAT, which stands for Hofstra Entertainment Access Television for 3 years!  I am currently the General Manager of the station as well as producer for one of our shows, Sports Beat.

When you are producing Sports Beat, what is the planning and organization like?

For Sports Beat I work with my co-producer Jen to create content for the show, highlighting all of Hofstra’s amazing sports teams!  We write the rundowns for the show, make the crew list, work with broadcasting talent from WRHU, shoot and edit packages on Hofstra Sports Teams with our package producer Jamie, and get Hofstra athletes to come to our show and be interviewed!

Where have you interned or worked that relate to your major?

I’ve been fortunate enough to have 5 internships during my college career! I interned at News 12 Long Island, TLC’s What Not to Wear, NBC’s News Archives, NBC Primetime Casting, and NBC Sports Ad Sales! 

As a senior, what sort of advice would you give to high school students or incoming freshmen?

I would tell them to really enjoy their time here and take advantage of all of the amazing amenities that Hofstra has to offer!

When you have graduated, what would be your dream job after Hofstra?

I would love to pursue a career in entertainment casting.  I’ve really loved all of my experiences at NBC and would love to see what opportunities are there for me after graduation.

What kind of opportunities have you had at Hofstra?

I think one thing that differentiates our school of communication from other universities is all of the hands on experience that we get! I am able to leave school not only knowing how to work television equipment, but how to produce a show and be a leader.

What does TV/Video mean to you?

When people ask me why I’ve gone into this profession, I always say it’s because I love that feeling of being a part of something that entertains and informs so many people.  I love this industry and how crazy and creative it can be. 

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!