Body Mod Blog: Pain Fetishes and Other Body Mod Misconceptions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

News flash. Just because someone has a lot of tattoos or piercings, it doesn’t mean they get turned on by the idea of being prodded with needles. It never ceases to amaze me how many times my mother, who is very conservative, asks me if I like pain, just because I have tattoos and piercings. Sure, I may like some rough foreplay in the bedroom (although I would never tell her that), but I have never met another modified person who genuinely enjoys the physical process of being tattooed or pierced. 

There are so many false or exaggerated misconceptions about modified people and the stereotypes can get pretty overwhelming at times, especially during first impressions. And of course, there are countless reasons why it is amazing to be a modified person, but no matter what, I still get nervous about meeting new people from time to time. Often times when people see someone with tattoos, they get an idea of who that person is before they even meet them. Yet I am here to tell you that not all tattooed people are alike. 

1. Modified People Love Pain

Just because someone has tattoos or piercings, it doesn’t mean that they get turned on or enjoy the act of being poked with needles. This question often arises from people who aren’t modified, because to them the idea of paying for pain seems absolutely ludicrous. But as many of you may know, 99% of people with tattoos and piercings don’t modify their bodies for the pain, but because they love the end result! Asking someone with tattoos if they like pain is essentially like asking a mother if they like pain because they had a baby. Being in a little bit of pain is just something that you have to go through if you want a beautiful tattoo or stunning piercing. 

2. We All Listen to Heavy Metal

It’s actually really amusing that people assume that I am a metal head because I have tattoos and piercings. There is a running stereotype that all modified people are also into metal music and I would have to say that I do know a lot of tattooed people who are into metal. And to be honest, I love metal music. But I also love belting out Justin Bieber in my car and dancing to Fetty Wap in my dorm room. I’ve met tattooed people who are into EDM, tattooed people who love country music, and tattooed people who love classical music. Having tattoos doesn’t mean we only listen to one genre of music.

3. We Hate ‘Basic’ Stuff

This one goes along with the previous section and it is honestly one of the most annoying assumptions of tattooed people. Just because I chose a more alternative appearance, it doesn’t mean that I can’t indulge in things that ‘mainstream people’ like. I have been known to watch The Bachelor on occasion (or every Monday night). I love Chipotle and I am not afraid to admit that I would pick that over a more ‘alternative’ restaurant. I shop at Forever 21 and Hollister just like every other white girl in her early twenties. So don’t rule out tattooed people as being pretentious hipsters, because you may have more in common with us than you think. 

4. We Only Date Other Modified People

Ok, I will be honest and say that I have been guilty of following this stereotype. But can you blame me? People with tattoos and piercings are insanely hot! Yet I have been with people who have no modifications whatsoever and are on the ‘normal’ end of the spectrum. And I didn’t like them any less! It’s all about the person on the inside and for me, tattoos are just a huge bonus. And if you are a tattooed person who only goes for tattooed people, there isn’t anything wrong with that either. Tattoos are very important to us and it’s incredible to be able to share that passion with someone close to you. 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.