free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Body Mod Blog Ink Interview: Justin Morcillo of South Shore Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

American Traditional is one of the most iconic styles in the tattoo world. Tattooing may have been brought from the West with styles such as Japanese Traditional and Polynesian going back centuries, but it wasn’t until the early 20th century that America developed its own style.

American Traditional was popularized by Sailor Jerry during the 1920s, a style that was ruled by a strict color palette, strong black outlines, and images such as snakes, daggers, wild cats, pin-ups, and anchors that would become classics in tattooing. Over the years artists have continued to work in the American Traditional style, creating legacies of their own through the practices of the founders that came before them. A rookie in the tattoo industry, Justin Morcillo of South Shore Tattoo in Amityville may be new in the tattoo world but he is certainly making his mark with traditional tattoos that beg to be noticed.

For someone who has been tattooing just over a year, Justin Morcillo certainly knows his way around the tattoo machine. Specializing in American Traditional, Morcillo gravitates towards the iconic images that artists like Ed Hardy and Mike Malone made famous during their lifetimes.

“My favorite subject to tattoo would be roses. There is always something different to do with them or embellish upon,” says Morcillo.

Morcillo takes many images done over time in the American Traditional style from Grim Reapers, to screaming skulls, and of course roses, but Morcillo likes to put his own spin on these images. By bringing in colors that were not adapted by the founders of American Traditional and altering the images to suit the unique interests of the wear, Morcillo is one of many artists to adapt the American Traditional style to modern times.

As an artist, he takes inspiration from the tattoo legends that changed the game of the industry but also the simple aspects of everyday life.

“I could list a ton of artists that inspire me like Ed Hardy, Horiyoshi III, Paul Rogers, Mike Wilson, Grime, Chris O’Donnell and many more. But the older I get, the more I’m beginning to find that down to the very smallest detail, it’s everyday life that inspires me,” Morcillo said. “The people in my life and the actions of others reveal truths. The truth is what makes us feel. What we feel are emotions and emotions are essential and powerful to the creative mind.” 

Morcillo uses his idols as well as the people and events in his life to inspire the art that he creates on skin, showing that fueling a passion is the key to a successful life. In many ways, both artists and students alike can harness inspiration and make a passion come to life in order to create a profitable career. 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!