The Best Apps for Working from Home, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I spend hours on my phone just searching for apps to help improve my lifestyle. There are so many different ones out there. How are you supposed to find all the best ones? Well, I saved you some time and did the searching for you. Below you can find the top nine I found to be most useful. 

Google Calendar

Through my many years of school I have searched and searched for the perfect calendar app. I never liked the one built into the iPhone, but after trying so many apps, I would always end back at Google Calendar. I think it is the most useful calendar app out there. There are not too many unnecessary features, so it’s fairly easy to manage. You can also create events from both your smartphone and laptop, while syncing them, and open it on any device, since it’s Google operated. Another feature it has is to add goals and reminders. On top of that, any events sent through your Gmail, such as concert tickets, will automatically appear in your calendar. 

StayFocused

If you’re anything like me, one of the biggest struggles of working from home is focusing on all the work I have to do. StayFocused has really changed that for the better. It encourages me to stay on track by keeping a timer of how long I don’t use my phone for. I am so easily distracted by TikTok and Instagram, so this app motivates me to stay off those. Ever since I downloaded StayFocused, I have noticed I am able to get my work done quicker because I have fewer distractions.

TED

I am sure many of you take breaks in between your work and might even find yourself on Netflix. Although it is extremely healthy to take some time for self care, why not watch TED talks instead? They are interesting and keep your brain moving, unlike some shows on TV. And not to mention, you’ll learn something new! When you first download the app, it asks questions to see what you’re interested in. The videos that the app, TED, shows you are very much catered to what you enjoy, so you won’t be watching some boring video about something you don’t even remotely care about.

Coffitivity

Coffitivity is one of the most useful apps, in my opinion. Before quarantine, all my best work would be done at a coffee shop, and this app creates the feeling as if you are. There are different sounds to choose from, such as “Morning Murmur,” “Lunchtime Lounge,” and “University Undertones.” They are each unique sounds from a cafe. The idea behind this app is to boost creativity and help you work better. 

Todoist

Organization is one of the most difficult things to focus on during these times. Todoist helps eliminate the stress by giving you an easy way to jot down everything you have to do. Instead of trying to remember every single thing you have to keep track of for work, school, or even your daily life, you can put it all in this app.

Aloe Bud

Being stuck inside is difficult on everyone’s mental health. This app brings all essential self care to one place for easy access. Aloe Bud is useful all the time, but it is extremely helpful during self-isolation. You can complete activities and journal all in one place to help not feel so down during these tough times.

Slack

Trying to organize all your work can be a pain, but Slack has simplified it. You can easily manage your team in one place, no matter what it is you’re working on. No more looking through your email for a certain message. Instead you can head to the app and find anything you need.

Seven

With gyms being closed and nowhere to go, I am sure many of you are finding it difficult to stay in shape. Seven is an exercise app with workouts that only take seven minutes to complete. While taking a short break from your daily activities, you can get that workout in. With this app, time won’t be an issue.

Plant Nanny

I ranked this at the bottom of the list because I felt it was important to mention, but it is not as useful as some of the other apps I came across. Plant Nanny is a fun, interactive way to remind yourself to stay hydrated. They ask for your activity status and weight, then they base the amount of water you need off of that. Everytime you drink water, you water your plant. While sitting at home, working all day, you might forget to grab a glass of water and stay hydrated. Plant Nanny will be your best friend in this case.

Productivity is one of the most important things to having a successful life, and in this century much of that is centered around our smartphones. These apps have helped me improve my daily life, and I hope they do the same for you. 

Kayla is a junior at Hofstra University, majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing and public relations. She has a passion for writing and traveling. A future aspiration of hers consists of becoming a travel writer, or working for a magazine. If you ever need to find her, I recommend checking the mall because she loves spending all her money on clothes that she doesn't need. When not shopping, she can be found watching something on Disney Plus(probably Tangled).