diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#BecomingABoss: Amanda Culen, The Penny Parlor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’ve ever dreamed of #becomingaboss, you’re not alone! This HC Hofstra series profiles women who are killin’ it in their careers– and it’ll show you how they became a boss, and how you can become one too.

Amanda Culen is the fabulous creator behind the lifestyle blog, The Penny Parlor. She publishes content about life, beauty, fashion, home and so much more! Currently, her home base is in Philadelphia with her husband, Mike, and their three kids, Chloe, Cashton and Cooper. She is totally one of my fave lady bosses and I had the opportunity to interview her for the new #BecomingABoss series!

Image courtesy of @ThePennyParlor on Instagram 

How/Why did you start blogging?

I started blogging before I had kids as a way to express creativity and design ideas. It was a way to show the world my hobbies and interests.

What is the meaning behind the name of your blog, The Penny Parlor?

The Penny Parlor started as a DIY blog where I could show you how to create on a budget. It has since evolved into a life and style blog, but I still have a budget friendly focus whether it’s a good deal or a way to create a look for less. I love mixing high and low end pieces when it comes to fashion. The word ‘penny’ evokes the mindset of being thrifty and that is how I came up with the name.

What are your top tips for creating a successful blog like yours?

• Be consistent: I know this is tough when you’re not blogging full time or have other obligations, but it does contribute to a successful blog. Readers know what to expect and in turn become loyal.
  • Quality pictures: So much of blogging is visual. Great photos will enhance your blog instantly and give it a professional look.
  • Content is king: Produce thought provoking, on trend and authentic content that is true to your aesthetic.
  • Community: This is essential. Get involved with other bloggers. There is a huge support system out there to help you navigate the influencing world and it’s a great community to be a part of!

Does social media contribute to a successful blog?

Social media plays a huge role in driving traffic to your blog and building relationships with brands. When I started blogging, Instagram was a nothing burger to bloggers. It has evolved into a space where you can really get noticed by brands. To be successful, you have to strategize on using social media to your benefit. Pinterest, IG, Facebook, Snap, etc. can all promote your blog and increase traffic, visibility and revenue. This is something I am constantly trying to keep up with because it’s always evolving.

What is your typical day like?

My mornings start by getting the kids up and either off to school or out the door with me to the gym. If my husband is not traveling, he is a HUGE help! We have three kids aged five, three and one. Mornings can be a circus. After the gym we either run errands or come home so the baby can nap. I try to get caught up with laundry and meal prep for dinner during this time. By the time the baby wakes up it’s almost time for school pick-up. Then we assess homework– practice reading, sight words and iPad time while I get dinner going. We typically eat dinner around 5/5:30. The kids all play together until it’s time for baths. The baby is down by 7:30 and the other two by 8:30. After the kids go to bed I can work on posts, respond to emails and get content ready for IG. I also have a babysitter two times a week so I can run errands without the kids. This keeps me sane! It can be really rough trying to get it all done with kiddos in tow.

What is it like to have a brand deal? For example, what happens when a brand reaches out to you?

Brands or PR firms representing brands will send me an email outlining a collaboration they are interested in having me work on. They will go over the background of their brand, what they are looking for from me and what they will offer in exchange. Sometimes there are specific deadlines that must be met. Sometimes content must be approved before it gets posted. It really varies.

What is the blogging community like?

I have found the blogging community to be very supportive. It’s become my favorite part about being an influencer. To have other people in the same space helping and encouraging is immensely valuable. Whether it’s getting advice on how to pitch yourself to a brand or what to charge for a social media post– I have a core group of local women that are always available. We all believe in collaboration over competition and lifting each other up. If anyone reaches out to me for help, I will answer! A blogger just getting started DM’d me from across the country saying she sought out local bloggers for advice and no one was willing to help her. I believe the more you give, the more you receive.

What are the pros and cons of being a blogger?

Pros:

• Flexibility: I can work as much or as little as I choose and allocate my time however I see fit.
  • Meeting new people: Back to community… I’ve met so many wonderful women I wouldn’t have known otherwise.
  • Trying new things: brands, products, food… you name it! Doing something you love!

Cons:

• Being vulnerable: It’s hard to put yourself out there for the world to see. I second guess myself all the time.
  • Time is always my enemy: Having young kids I am constantly trying to balance it all. There are never enough hours in the day to get it all done.
  • Pressure: To get things done or comparing myself to others. I have to remind my myself that I started blogging for ME.

How much time/work goes into making a single blog post?

It depends on the content. An outfit post typically looks like 1) hour to shoot 2) hour for photo editing 3) hour to post, totaling about three hours of work. Some can be longer than that, some less. If I’m shooting with a photographer we try to get four or five outfits in an hour of shooting. Sometimes my husband takes pictures. I’ve even had my five year old help!

What is the experience like when you’re featured in a magazine, such as Philadelphia Style Magazine?

Honestly, it feel GREAT! I smiled a bit bigger the day the article came out! It helps me solidify that what I’m doing is something good, not just for me as an outlet, but for others. Recently a mom, my age, emailed me. She’s about to have her third baby, saw one of my posts and asked cautiously, not wanting to offend me, if I ever used hip slimmer’s postpartum. I told her I was glad she reached out! I am here to help! Gaining any publicity through Philly Style Mag allows me to impact more women and let them know, I get it, we’re all in this together. If they need help putting an outfit together or styling their home, they can check the blog and maybe see something that inspires them! And to answer her question, yes, I did use Hip Slimmer’s after each pregnancy! :)

Click here to check out Philadelphia Style Magazine‘s article featuring Amanda!

Do you have any goals/plans for your blog?

I have long term goals for the blog when the kids are in school full time. Until that happens, I fit it in when I can. Life is all about balance.

I love how you include your family in your blog. What made you decide to include your husband and children as a part of your blog?

They are such an integral part of my life it only made sense to include them. My five year old LOVES the camera. She asks me for her own YouTube channel on a weekly basis! The kids enjoy being involved and my husband is so supportive!

You are such an awesome lady boss! Do you have a mantra that empowers you? Any role models?

‘Positivity is a superpower’ Stay focused on the good in your life. Push negativity and negative people out the door. My mom is my biggest role model. She is the advice queen for any topic I throw her way. The older I get, the more I understand she really knows what she’s talking about!

Do you have any advice for college students who are about to graduate and get jobs?

Get out an index card and write down three career goals for yourself. Keep it somewhere you will see them regularly, in your wallet or your car’s sun visor. Focus your energy on achieving them. Stay motivated!

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

One of my biggest regrets in blogging is the time I stopped cold turkey to have my kids. I felt overwhelmed and put ALL my energy into being a mom. It was not a bad thing, but by the time I had my third baby, I felt a huge void. I needed more of an identity outside of staying home with the kids. That’s when I decided to start blogging again. I tell everyone– DON’T STOP! Life will have ebbs and flows, just roll with it! The other thing I want to add– FIND YOUR TRIBE! Life is hard. I am blessed to be surround by women who support my journey in motherhood, marriage and blogging. As my mom always says, women need women!

Fast Favorites:

1. Q: Favorite store(s)/designer(s)?

A: Free People, Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, BCBG

2. Q: Favorite blog post you’ve made?

A: This is my recent favorite because the pictures are so CUTE! 

3. Q: Favorite blogger(s)?

A: My local squad of course! Carly + Sloan, The Mother Chic, The Fashionably Broke Teacher, The Material Girl and Three Sisters One Closet!

4. Q: Favorite makeup product(s)?

A: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz pencil, Dior Airflash Spray Foundation, Stila Allover Shimmer Powder, Benefit Stay Don’t Stray

5. Q: Favorite TV show(s)/movie(s)?

A: Shark Tank, Homeland, The Office, Moana (has been playing on repeat around here!!)

Be sure to follow Amanda on Instagram, Twitter, and like her Facebook page! 

Abby is a senior journalism major and writing studies minor at Hofstra University. At Her Campus Hofstra, she previously held the positions of Vice President and Social Media Director before becoming co-Campus Correspondent. Abby was a social media intern at BeautyRx, a skin care company based in Manhattan, and an editorial intern at Skincare.com, which is owned and operated by L'Oréal Paris.