6 Ways to Balance That Crazy Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As the school year progresses, your schedule can get a little hectic. Sometimes it’s hard to find that balance between classes, homework, organizations, work, and friends. If you ever find yourself feeling trapped in a whirlwind of obligations, here are 6 ways to balance out that busy schedule.

Photo Courtesy of freephotos.cc

1. Keep a List

One of the best things you can do for yourself if you have a lot going on in your life is keep a to-do list. This will help remind you of the things that you need to get done, as well as give you an overview of what your workload will be. Without a list or planner, it’ll be nearly impossible to keep up with all of your assignments and events.

2. Don’t Make Commitments That You Can’t Keep

There’s really nothing worse than having too much on your plate. It’s unhealthy and unproductive to over-extend yourself. If you can’t handle everything that you’re doing; i.e. classes, extracurriculars, work; then you need to decide what is most important and drop what is not. It’s great to be busy, but if it’s going to affect your grades, sleep, health, and friendships, it isn’t worth it. Life is supposed to be enjoyable, and it can’t be if you can never catch a break.

3. Prioritize

This tip goes hand in hand with number 2. If you are busy doing things that aren’t exactly relevant or important, then you need to pick what is best for you. This could also mean deciding whether it’s more important to go out with friends or write that five-page paper. The key to prioritizing is finding a balance. For example, you probably shouldn’t pick homework over friends every time. However, you should know when you need to pick work over fun.

4. Make Time to Sleep

If your busy schedule is preventing you from getting the sleep your body needs, that’s a serious issue. There’s no way that you can focus on everything that you’re doing if you’re running on no sleep. Many people sacrifice a good night’s rest so that they can literally do as much as possible. But trust me, this is definitely not the way to go. It’s great to be involved, but your health shouldn’t suffer because of it. If you’re exhausted every day, you won’t be able to enjoy all of the things that you are doing. Give your body a break at the end of the day so that you can reboot and be ready for tomorrow.

Photo Courtesy of Michaela Rankin

5. Give Yourself a Break and Hang Out with Friends

Even the busiest of us need to have fun once in awhile. Don’t neglect your friend or push them to the side in the midst of all of the craziness. If you do this, they may not be there when you really need them. Be sure to allow time to spend with your friends, otherwise, life will be really dull. Even if that means staying in for a girls night, pick a night to play card games, have a spa night, or watch a fun movie. The friends you make in college are usually the ones that stick around. It’s very important to focus on your future, but don’t forget that friendships make the college experience all the more enjoyable.

6. Allow Yourself Some “Me-Time”

Last but not least, don’t forget about yourself. Be sure to treat yourself, love yourself, and take care of yourself so that you can continue being the busy and productive person that you strive to be. There’s nothing wrong with busy, but be sure that you’re listening to your body and what it needs. Spend a night relaxing, listening to music, or watching your favorite show. Take a moment to slow down and appreciate the little things in your life. Maybe even turn in early for a night or sleep in a little later than usual.

There’s nothing wrong with being busy, as long as you know how to handle it. There’s bound to be stress, no matter how well you balance everything out. Just make sure that you’re not sacrificing the important things just to get by.   

Journalism Major | Radio Television Film Minor | Fine Arts Minor Hofstra University Class of 2020