Style

5 Ways You Can Wear Dad Sneakers And Not Feel Weird About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Trends are getting harder and harder to follow, especially when it comes to footwear. We’re now seeing a big Western theme in retailers, which means fringe, cowboy boots… lots of things that I’ll continue to refuse to wear, despite my still-developing inclination to feed into trends. The biggest footwear trend that we are currently in the wake of (in my opinion, at least) is styling “dad” sneakers, specifically the Fila Disruptor II’s.

This trend contributes to the ongoing androgynous fashion movement, and it’s nice to see that people aren’t compromising comfort for fashion anymore. I must confess, though, that I’ve held off on getting a pair for myself because I couldn’t figure out for the life of me how to style them and not look absolutely ridiculous. However, you definitely can pull them off without judgment. If you’re hesitant about getting some chunky dad kicks, maybe these outfits will change your mind.

First Outfit

This outfit is a great way to contrast some feminine pieces, like a dress, with these more masculine sneakers. I would recommend adding your favorite neck scarf to dress it up a little bit (tie it in your hair, onto your purse, around your neck… whatever works for you.) Here is a similar dress and jacket.

Second Outfit

This outfit is a little bolder than the previous one, but still a great way to make these sneakers look a bit more feminine. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing bike shorts, swap them out for a black skirt to add a more classy flair to the look. Here is a similar blazer, shorts and skirt.

Third Outfit 

OK, so she isn’t exactly wearing dad sneakers with this outfit, but I think that pairing them with a more casual outfit is a perfect way to wear them without looking like you tried too hard. This is the perfect outfit to wear to class, or even a day out with friends. Here is a similar jacketturtleneck and the exact joggers she’s wearing in the picture (although you could certainly find a cheaper pair).

Fourth Outfit

This outfit screams fall vibes, and it’s the perfect way to make dress pants a bit more casual. Switch these brown pants out for any sort of wide-legged pants you own, or switch the t-shirt out for any graphic tee that suits your style. Here are the exact pants and a cheaper option that you can pair any fun graphic tee (my favorites are from Urban Outfitters).

Fifth Outfit 

One of the easiest ways to wear these shoes is to style them with some straight or wide legged jeans and a basic top. This is a pretty casual outfit, and if you wanted to dress it up you could add some gold jewelry pieces or a patterned jacket (or both!) Here are some similar jeans and a similar shirt.

Hopefully this gave you some outfit inspiration and slightly persuaded you that dad sneakers aren’t so ugly, after all. Side note: if you think you can’t pull something off, you couldn’t be more wrong. “Pulling off” trends is all about being confident; so go ahead ladies, wear your dad sneakers with pride. 

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.