5 Ways to Practice Gratitude This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Delicious food, chilly weather, family, relatives, parades, turkey trots, the first snow. Thanksgiving is encapsulated by so many traditions and hallmarks that are individual to everyone who celebrates the holiday. Above all, one thing about Thanksgiving that is universal, is in its very name – giving thanks. The act of practicing gratitude is something that should be frequent throughout any individual’s life as it can grant fulfillment and purpose through recognizing the positive in your life. Take a moment. Appreciate the things in your life that serve you and your overall happiness. Thanksgiving allows this practice of giving thanks to be highlighted and experienced by all on one coalescent occasion. In order to make the most of it this year, below are some great ways to practice gratitude by yourself or with your family. 

1. Send Letters

No matter how dated, sending an old-fashioned letter is one way to express thanks for the people in your life. If not a letter, then write an email. Often, gratitude isn’t verbally expressed every day, despite internal feelings of being grateful for someone. Verbalizing the appreciation felt for others not only gives the letter-sender a sense of fulfillment and happiness, but also makes the letter-receiver aware of the positive impact they have on someone’s life.

2. Cook or Bake for Someone

One thing that mostly everyone looks forward to on Thanksgiving is the food. Cooking or baking for someone, even something simple such as cookies, expresses appreciation. The effort put into cooking or baking demonstrates to someone that they are truly cared for.

3. Meditate/Self-Care

Gratitude does not always have to be for others. Being thankful for what someone does for themself is equally as important. Treat yourself with kindness and give yourself grace. Self care can include writing down positive affirmations, getting rest, or taking a few moments alone. In this way, you are practicing gratitude for yourself and everything your body does for you.

4. Jot it Down

Simply writing down what you are grateful for is a perfect way to externalize the internal gratitude one may feel every day. By writing it down, gratitude is expressed and set in stone which has a freeing and cathartic effect. Even past the holiday of Thanksgiving and in everyday life, try starting a gratitude journal!

5. Random Acts of Kindness

Challenge yourself to do at least one random act of kindness for a family member, friend, neighbor or stranger. Brightening one person’s day can go a long way and actually make you feel happy and fulfilled as well. Practice gratefulness for fellow humans.

Overall, these are just some simple examples of ways to practice gratitude for the holidays. Thanksgiving is not the only time to express thanks, however. These ideas can be expanded and brought into daily life as a regular practice as the serotonin and dopamine released from said activities contributes to not only improving one’s individual happiness, but also improving one’s relationships and valuable connections.

Lilly Knappe

Hofstra '27

Lilly Knappe is a current freshman at Hofstra University studying Film. She is from Kennebunk, Maine and has a passion for film, storytelling, nature, and fashion. She is excited to immerse herself in New York City!