Style > Fashion

5 Essential Tips That All Beginner Thrifters Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whether you’re trying to expand your wardrobe on a budget, looking to lower your impact on the environment, or move away from supporting fast fashion, getting into thrifting is a great way to embrace a love of fashion in an ethical way- but it can be overwhelming your first few times! So to help you on your thrifting journey, here are our five best tips for beginner thrifters.

Have An Idea of What You Want

It might sound obvious, but go into the thrift store with a few specific items in mind- you could even save some pictures to reference. This will help you have a concrete goal for your shopping trip and make it less likely for you to get lost in the sea of clothing. (It’ll also help your wallet).

Don’t Follow Micro Trends

When you’re writing up that list for number one, try not to get influenced by the ever changing trends of fast fashion. If you do, you might end up with a closet of clothes you won’t want to wear in a month. Instead, start with more basic, classic pieces and trust your personal style!

Carve Out Time

Sifting through racks upon racks of clothes for that perfect item can be time consuming, so if you really want to find what you’re looking for, you should be ready to spend a bit of time on it. Try to go on a day where you have at least an hour free for yourself.

Find Out When They restock

If you’re finding yourself unable to come across that one garment you’ve been searching for for ages, try to find out when your local thrift store changes their inventory and go on that day of the week. You’ll get to the gems before anyone else!

Go with friends

Thrifting with friends will not only help you figure out what you should and shouldn’t buy by giving you a second pair of eyes, but it’ll open you up to different styles! It’s also just a fun way  to spend time with those closest to you.

Bonus: Remember where you’re shopping

While thrifting has its ethical upsides, remember that if you’re coming from a higher income background, you don’t need this resource as much as other people. Don’t over consume, don’t resell for higher prices, and don’t “flip” pieces that people of other sizes may have benefitted from wearing as is. Finally, give back! Donate your old clothes to your local thrift store to keep the cycle going.

With these tips you’ll be on your way to finding gold in no time. Happy thrifting!

Gabby Luftschein is a junior at Hofstra University with a major in Film Studies and Productions and minors in Public Relations and Creative Writing. As her major might suggest, in her free time she enjoys watching movies and TV, and she also loves turning anything and everything into earrings for her jewelry business. She is super excited for her first year as Her Campus's Social Media Director!