5 Things to do With an Old Liquor Bottle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Everyone should reuse, reduce and recycle, but when it comes to booze, maybe just reuse and recycle…. We all have those nights where we don’t think we’ll finish the bottle but we do. You have the girls over and in the process of getting ready to go out to the real party you’re left with an empty bottle and nothing to do with it. Here are some ways to make it look like your drinking habits make you productive AND artsy. Get the girls back over and start working on the next bottle as you pintrest the heck out of your room.

#1. Chalkboard Paint

You can choose to paint the entire bottle or just a small band around the middle but this is a super simple way to customize your left over bottles and still be able to change them around whenever you like.

Needed: newspaper, spray paint primer, black chalkboard spray paint, a spray grip, blue painters tape, spray paint of your choice, and chalk/ chalk markers

The first step is to make sure all labels are off the bottles, then place them on the newspaper and connect the spray grip to the can and give them a good coat of primer before waiting for them to dry. Here’s where you choose whether you want them to be entirely black or if you want color.

If you chose color:  Give them 2-3 coats of colored spray paint (allowing them to dry in between) then use the blue tape to section off the space that you want to be a chalkboard and give it 3 coats of chalkboard paint. Once it’s dry, peel off the tape and admire your handiwork

If you chose all chalkboard: Give them 3 coats of the chalkboard paint and allow for them to dry before using the chalk.

#2. Washi Tape

Washi tape is already a girl’s best friend when it comes to college. It’s super easy to use and adds flare and color to anything without straining your bank account. Again here you can choose to paint the entire bottle white or go clear with washi tape over it. Get your color on girl!

Needed: Washi tape (any color/pattern), primer spray, white spray paint and spray grip (all optional), newspaper (if painting)

All of this comes down to personal style, but whether you paint it all white or not you choose where the tape goes and what colors and designs you want. If you’re going nautical you could go for more blues, greens, and golds on a white bottle. Or if you want more of a floral feel something like the pictures above would work perfectly.

If spray painting, do one solid coat of primer followed by 2-3 of white paint allowing for dry time between.

#3. Yarn/ Twine

This is another super simple way to recycle bottles and cover up those labels, while still getting something super cute and nautical out of it. You can cover as much of the bottle as you want, sticking to just the neck or the entire thing.

Needed: Yarn and/or waxed twine

Color here varies depending on your own desires, however a couple and colors schemes that work well together would be jewel tones, earth tones and twine, or nautical colors and twine.

When wrapping the twine or yarn, start at the top of the bottle and tie it once around tightly before you begin to wrap (tucking the excess down and wrapping over it). Make sure to stick to just one loop at a time and keep pushing the strand up so that it remains tightly wound. If you’re sticking with one color, you’ll reach a point at the bottom where the strands start to slip off…this is where you stop and cut it about 3 inches past the end loop and tie it before wrapping the excess around the last loop.

If you are switching colors, once you finish a color follow the same trick and start over with the new color just like you did at the top of the bottle, and repeat.

#4. Ombre

Everyone loves a good ombre. And these are great ways to softly add more touches of color to your room. They could be seasonal or just match you comforter.

Needed: White spray paint, colored/metallic spray paint, spray grip and newspaper

You can choose to paint the entire bottle white or leave them clear but either way make sure all of the labels are peeled off. If you’re painting it all white, turn the bottles upside-down and give them each two coats of spray paint.

When adding the color, hold the can about 10 inches away and at an angle from the edge of the bottom of the bottle. This makes sure that the color is concentrated at the bottom and lightens gradually.

#5. Autumn Inspired

Now this one will require you to go outside and do a little nature walk. But the result will be really cute and fit right into the Fall season. It’s a throwback to elementary school art when you did those leaf prints.

Needed: White spray paint and spray grip, newspaper, acrylic paints, paper plates and spray sealer

After you go out and find those leaves, you’re going to spray your bottles with 2 coats of white spray paint and then leave them to dry. Once dry you’re going to put your acrylic paints out on paper plates and dip the flat side of a leaf lightly into the paint before pressing it onto the bottle. The shape and detail of the leaf should be pressed into the white.

You don’t want to glob a whole bunch of paint onto the leaf because then you wont get the detail. If needed, test on a napkin first to see how much will work best.

Once you’re set with all of the leaf prints, allow then to dry before sealing them in with the spray sealer to make sure the acrylic paint doesn’t chip off.

So now that you have these tips and tricks, make your room really cute and invite everyone over to see how productive you can be. Your weekend pregame can now be seen as prep not only for the frat party but also for your next pintrest party!

Currently a Sophomore at Hofstra University working towards a BA in Journalism, with a minor in Sociology. In the past Clare has worked for the non-profit Plan USA to help run youth advocacy programs and has worked to promote youth governance and youth empowerment in social activism. After graduation, Clare hopes to work for Buzzfeed (fingers crossed) or another online news source. She is looking for her big break in life with the least amount of mistakes on the journey there.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.