5 Shows that have Five Plus Seasons, but are Worth Getting Into

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With so many different streaming platforms to choose from, it can be a challenge to sort through what shows are worth the effort and which shows aren’t.

It’s even more difficult to discern whether a show that boasts 12 seasons really has 12 seasons of high-quality entertainment, when most fans often recommend starting at a specific season and skipping others.

For those who love to get into a TV show for the long haul, here are a few tried-and-tested long-running shows that, despite their years of content, have managed to continue to create storylines and plots worth investing in.

crime – Criminal minds (HULU)

Seasons: 15

“Criminal Minds” tells the story of the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit as they work to catch serial killers based on criminal profiling.

While it changes from season to season, the cast is consistently likable, with well-fleshed-out characters and personal storylines interwoven within larger story arcs. There’s someone for everyone to like: integral characters include Agent Hotch, the unit’s commanding officer for most of the show; Agent Morgan, the attractive jock; Agent Reid, the awkward, but brilliant nerd and Agent Garcia, the bubbly computer science expert.

“Criminal Minds” has no shortage of sensational, gripping storylines for the viewers who are more interested in delving into the criminal psyche. Each episode features a compelling antagonist, unique M.O. and twists that will keep watchers guessing until the very end.

Hulu currently has every season of “Criminal Minds.” For those who prefer to watch shows as they air, “Criminal Minds” will also be getting a spin-off show on Paramount+.

Reality television – the amazing race (HULU and cbs)

Seasons: 32 (and still airing!)

This reality TV show features duos (sometimes families) as they race around the world for a million dollars, following clues to challenges along the way. With each leg/episode of the race, the last team to arrive at a checkpoint is eliminated from the competition.

The challenges are often themed to fit with the culture of the country the racers are in. Past challenges have ranged from searching for clues within hundreds of hay bales to trying to deliver large fishing baskets on bicycles.

Along the way, racers use various elements of the race to set other teams back in the race and speed ahead, battling through the elements, transportation errors and language barriers to get to their final destinations.

“The Amazing Race” is still on air Wednesdays at 10/9c on CBS, while a large portion of past seasons can be found on Hulu.

cooking – the great British baking show (NETFLIX)

Seasons: 12 (and still airing!)

Named “The Great British Bake-Off” in the UK, but “The Great British Baking Show” in the US, this charming, tranquil show is perfect for people looking for a mild-mannered, but serious competition centered around baked culinary treats.

Under a tent pitched in the idyllic British countryside, contestants complete weekly challenges centered around different areas of baking, including cookies, cakes, loaves of bread and biscuits. The tasks range from technical to creative as the bakers work to impress judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith.

With dynamic hosts and likable contestants, “The Great British Baking Show” is the perfect way to learn more about baking and British treats, without Gordon Ramsay’s shouts ringing out in the background.

“The Great British Baking Show” is currently on-air in the UK, but unfortunately, American viewers must wait for the show to go on Netflix to get started.

SITCOM – Parks & Recreation – (PEACOCK)

Seasons: 7

This witty sitcom about life in a parks and recreation office features a host of quirky coworkers as they navigate the politics of local government in Indiana.

With iconic characters such as Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson, “Parks & Recreation,” at this point, is a cultural classic and referenced countless times in popular culture, and for good reason- even people who usually don’t enjoy comedic shows will have no choice but to laugh at some of the antics throughout the show.

The entirety of “Parks & Recreation” can be found on Peacock Premium.

Medical – The resident (FOX)

Seasons: 5 (and still airing!)

While it may come as a shock to not see “Grey’s Anatomy” on this list, “The Resident” and its five-season arc so far is more manageable and less overwhelming than the prospect of starting such a dauntingly lengthy series.

Plot and character-wise, “The Resident” has done a great job of balancing the personal aspects of doctors and nurses with the intricacies of challenging medicine. For the most part, the show strays away from the soapy, romance-heavy storylines, and spends that energy developing ambitious, but loveable characters that, while flawed, are ones you root for nonetheless.

“The Resident” is currently airing on Fox, but you can find all five previous seasons on Hulu.

Although these shows are just a fraction of the quality television to grace screens, we hope that you enjoy your next deep dive! It’s time to grab some snacks, and get binge-watching, because there’s a lot of content to cover…

Anna DeGoede

Hofstra '24

Anna is a journalism major with a passion for true crime, Minecraft and good food. When she isn't writing for HerCampus or The Hofstra Chronicle, Anna plays the trumpet and crochets.