This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Sometimes it’s a real struggle to figure out which show to watch next—especially if you just finished one. Many times I have been saved from this despair by recommendations from friends, so here are some shows that I recommend:

1. New Girl

Quirky schoolteacher Jessica Day responds to a Craigslist ad for a new roommate and ends up moving into a loft apartment with three guys. She soon becomes close friends with them, and they all must deal with each other’s antics, making for a number of crazy adventures. It’s a nice feel-good sitcom that will instantly put you in a good mood.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/26tn2oUcqc7djlftm/200w.gif?cid=3640f6095bd4f98d364975506f26a0f6

2. Jane the Virgin

After Jane mistakenly becomes artificially inseminated with the sperm of a man she’s never met, their two very different worlds collide. Throw in her fiancée and his vengeful ex-wife and it instantly creates an even messier and far more complicated situation. 

Jane the Virgin  is a unique show that always leaves you wanting more. It is made in the style of a modern telenovela and takes you through all the twists and turn, love triangles, and murders, but without over-dramatization and predictability. Not to mention the incredible cast of diverse characters. As an added bonus, the show deals with the stigmas of sex and the struggle of navigating family dynamics in a positive way that no other show does. 

3. Marvel’s Jessica Jones

After a tragic event ends her superhero career, she goes to New York City and opens a private detective agency. She suffers from PTSD and instead of focusing on saving the world, her goal is to pay rent and make it through each day like every other non-wealthy person living in New York. When her past comes back to haunt her, Jessica must find a way to defeat a seemingly invincible villain while coping with her PTSD. She is the definition of a badass bitch. She does what she wants, regardless of what others tell her, while still doing good in the world. Even her best friend, Trish, is her own form of badass. It is empowering to see two badass women take control of the superhero screen, especially when female superhero leads are scarce.  Jessica Jones is a unique take on the superhero genre. 

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l3mZ3ay30SKjgwpiw/200w.gif?cid=3640f6095bd4fdb5346a4e7577ea8b51

4. Grace and Frankie

Grace and Frankie are two women in their 70s who become unlikely friends after their husbands leave them for each other. Both women are left heartbroken and in shock and must lean on each other for support. Grace is an uptight professional businesswoman, and Frankie is a free spirit who loves life.  At first, Grace wants nothing to do with Frankie’s hippy nonsense, but Frankie basically kills her with kindness and they become best friends, navigating their new single lives together. 

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o6ZsUrOKJQO0kFjhu/200w.gif?cid=3640f6095bd4f92e4a6f306a5954fbdb

5. Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad has been off the radar for a few years now, but recently celebrated the 10-year anniversary of its premiere. Plus, it’s one of my all-time favorite shows. When Walter White, an over-qualified high school chemistry teacher, is diagnosed with lung cancer, he is at a loss. He accepts his diagnosis but worries about what will happen to his family after he is gone—a loving wife, a teenage son with cerebral palsy, and an unexpected baby on the way. With all of the medical bills to come, his teacher’s salary won’t be enough to sustain them. To solve the financial problems, he goes into business with a former delinquent student, Jesse Pinkman, cooking and selling crystal meth. 

https://media0.giphy.com/media/MBVemoHuyw9Ik/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bd4feb6706c6f4c6fd5544f

If you have not seen these shows yet, they should definitely be on your ‘Must Watch List’. And if you have seen them, why not watch them again!

All photos courtesy of Giphy

Faith Cheehan

Hofstra '21

Faith is a junior at Hofstra University and is working towards a degree in Film Production with a minor in Spanish Language and Culture. She is the YouTube page coordinator for the Hofstra chapter and is involved in various clubs and organizations on campus. A writer, musician, filmmaker, and activist, Faith is very passionate about her work and uses it to make a difference in the lives of others.