Career

5 Questions You NEED to Ask in your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

An important step in preparing for an upcoming interview is making sure you have the right questions to ask your interviewer. Asking a good interview question can not only show employers that you are engaged and well prepared for the interview, but it can also help you develop a better understanding of whether the role is the right fit for you. Most of your questions should be tailored to the position you are interviewing for and should show that you did your research; however, we have some core questions you can use for just about any interview. You need to ask these five questions the next time you hear the daunting question, “Do you have any questions for us?”

Have I Answered All Your Questions?

Starting off with this question can give you a second chance on any previous questions that your potential employers did not receive the full answer they were looking for. You can also follow up on this question by asking if they might have any hesitancies in hiring you for the position. These questions open up the conversation in discussing your weaknesses, and in turn, will show your confidence in your skills. Asking these questions will allow you to elaborate more on your skills and show them that you truly are a good fit for the position!

How Has This Position Evolved?

Asking the question “How has this position evolved?” will show you if you’ll be getting what you want out of this experience, or if it’s a dead-end that you shouldn’t be considering. You can also use this time to ask them about their recent shifts made during the pandemic and how this would look for your position now and in the future. 

Can You Describe a Typical Day or Week in the Job?
Working women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

This question can provide a lot of insight to what you’ll be getting yourself into, depending on the answer your interviewer gives you. Ideally, their answer will show you what is expected of their employees and what will be expected from you. This question can also show you if they will expect you to do more than what was entailed in the job description, and if this might be more chaotic than you were looking for. Remember, interviews are also for you to see if you’ll enjoy working in this position.

How Would You Describe a Successful Employee?

Asking your interviewers to describe a successful employee is another great way to get a scope of their expectations. It can also show you if they are true to how they present themselves to the public. They may seem to be a company that focuses on work-life balance, but their description of a successful employee is one who overworks themselves. Listen closely to their answer and see if that description fits your idea of success.

What are the Next Steps in the Interview Process?

“What are the next steps in the interview process?” or in other words, asking your interviewers when you should expect to hear back from them. The worst part of an interview is the waiting period that follows, especially if you have no idea when to expect an answer. This question will give you an idea of when to send that second follow-up email, and it will also show your interviewers that you are still interested in moving forward. 

With these questions and the research you have prepared on the company, you are sure to do great in your next interview. Remember to give yourself plenty of chances to show your potential employers why you are a great fit for the role, and to also allow yourself to see if the role is right for you. Good luck!

Taylor is a Senior at Hofstra University with a major in Journalism and a minor in Photography. She is from Nevada and is now having a wonderful time in New York!