5 Fun Things to Do in NYC in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Spring has finally arrived which means we can finally get back to outdoor activities! While NYC is a great place to be year-round, there are some things that are only fun when it’s not freezing outside. This is a list of five things you can do in the city now that it’s getting warmer out!

1.  Take a walk in Central Park.

Central Park is beautiful all the time, but once everything is beginning to bloom it’s a lovely place for a long walk—maybe even a picnic! It’s not only a great place to spend a day in the sun, but it’s also surrounded by great food. Get lunch to go and sit in the park with a good friend to just enjoy the weather. While you’re there, you can visit Belvedere Castle, the playing fields, the Central Park Zoo, and endless other things. There are so many things to do here to easily make a day out of it.

2.  Take a Horse and buggy ride.

This is such a classic. If you chip in money with a group of friends, it’ll end up being worth it for such a magical experience. These riders are usually around the edge of Central Park to take you on a tour of all the different sights. While you ride, you’ll feel like royalty!

3.  Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.  

This is one thing a lot of people might not think to do and it’s such a cool spot! The amazing architecture of the bridge is stunning and you’ll get those beachy gusts of wind while you walk. On a sunny day with friends, it would be so fun and relaxing!

4. Visit the Statue of Liberty. 

While it may seem kind of touristy, it’s something everyone should do at least once. Tickets are only around $20, which includes the boat ride and tour to the crown.  This is such a nice adventure for you and your friends as the weather warms up.

5. Go Kayaking on the Hudson for free.

Yes, really— free! There are a bunch of community boathouses that will let you take a 20-minute canoe or kayak ride for free. This would be so much fun, especially later in the spring once it gets really hot outside. It’ll be a great arm workout, too.

I hope you try some of these fun and affordable outdoor activities in NYC!

Film and Television major at Hofstra University (Class of 2020) Beauty and fashion enthusiast Cat lover