This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Twenty years may not be long, but it’s definitely enough time to learn a few very important life lessons. Here are 20 things I’ve learned by age 20. 

1. Take responsibility for your actions.

Photo courtesy of Digital Buggu

This is meant for wrongdoings you may have done to others. This will allow you to better yourself and apologize sincerely to whoever you hurt.

2. Try to learn from other people’s mistakes.

If you can avoid making an awful mistake, do it. This allows for better decision making.

3. Your brain is the most important organ you have.

It controls most of the things we do and differences in brain structure and function determine our strengths and weaknesses.

4. Just because something is hard doesn’t mean it sucks; you might just suck at it.

I used to say that I hated math, but I realized I just sucked at it and didn’t like the pace it was taught. There isn’t anything wrong with the subject in itself.

5. Don’t make a FAD situation into a HAT situation.

This is a cute way of saying don’t overreact and turn something that is frustrating, annoying and disappointing into something horrible, awful, and terrible.

6. Even moderation should be monitored.

Indulge in your favorite food or take one or two lazier days every once in a while. Make sure to have certain days (once a week, once a month etc.) that you let go of demands such as calorie counting or working from dusk until dawn.

7. Deep breathing.

Deep breathing that consists of breathing out longer than inhaling is what causes us to calm down. Short quick breaths don’t produce those calming effects.

Photo courtesy of Rawpixel.com

8If your brain doesn’t have enough oxygen then you won’t perform as well.

This covers different topics from anxiety over things like tests to unpredictable stress. You have to focus on how you can get more oxygen to your brain, and that will help you perform better. This can include things like stretching, deep breathing, and meditation. 

9. On a test, if you are starring at a problem for more than a time that feels appropriate, go and do the easier problems first.

I personally struggle with this and feel immense anxiety if I can’t get every one of the problems right away. However, I’ve learned and seen myself that if I move onto another problem it serves as more productive than freaking out over the one(s) that I am not able to get. To do this I would suggest doing deep breathing and telling yourself you’ll regret not moving on when you have a short amount of time left and so many problems left to do.

10. There are warning signs for suicide/someone considering it.

-Check psychology based sources for information.

11. Find out how much your coworkers make. Gender-based discrimination is alive.

You would be surprised how much unconscious biases happen in the workplace.

12. There will be people who disagree with the core things that you believe in; work towards accepting it.

– I am in the process of doing this myself. Accepting does not mean agreeing; it just means that you acknowledge it.

13. ADHD is real.

– Neurology confirms it. It is so misunderstood because it has to do with daily activities taken to an extreme so other people without the condition can’t imagine daily everyday activities such as concentration, energy levels, ability to fall asleep etc. can be incredibly difficult for those affected

14. Listen to other’s opinions more.

– I used to think that I knew most of what I was talking about and would shut out any other contradictory opinions. All that did was provide me with a false sense of entitlement.

15. Women’s bodies and men’s bodies are different. Different skin type, fat deposits etc. Make the best with what you have.

– I found myself jealous that men didn’t have as sensitive skin or (in my head) were less prone to bloating than women  All this does is fuel a jealousy complex that honestly is quite tiring. I’m trying to accept that other people have it easier with other things.

16. I love cookie dough, and I love avocados. Try to find both nutritious and less nutritious foods to enjoy. It makes flexible eating much easier.

17. If something contradicts with your “image” don’t just neglect it.

– I used to (and admittedly still do) try to keep up this image of myself. Whether it comes to expressing myself, club choices etc, try to see yourself past an image you’ve set up for yourself.

18. OCD takes many forms. It may not be the frantic germ obsessed stereotype it gets.

19. A regular sleep schedule is SO IMPORTANT.

– After years of awful sleep that has resulted in years of vomiting, pounding headaches, and the inability to be awake before 10-11 without recurring nausea, I will preach this: GET A REGULAR SLEEP SCHEDULE.

20. Progress is real.

– Even sitting down writing this article without needing a break is progress for me.

Photo courtesy of Yuliya Shabliy

I study science and Spanish at Hofstra University. I analyze well and have stuff to say.