10 Things to Do in NYC Around the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

New York City is the place to be around the holidays; no matter what you celebrate, there is something for everyone. From giant Christmas trees to towering menorahs, the city is full of the holiday spirit. Can’t decide what you want to do to celebrate the holidays this year? Here are 10 ideas for holiday adventures!

1. Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular

Take your friends or family and watch the Rockettes dance their way into the holidays. This show is only happening for a few weeks and is an extremely popular event. It has become a yearly tradition for many local New Yorkers and tourist alike. Stop by and enjoy the show before it leaves!

1. World’s Largest Hanukkah Menorahs

The 32-foot-high menorah is located across the street from The Plaza Hotel in Manhattan and the second menorah is located in Brooklyn’s Grand Army Plaza. Many people come to watch the menorah get lit every night and celebrate the holiday. There is a concert the first night and a big celebration on the 8th and final night with latkes and sufganiyot (jelly donuts). Don’t have anything to do for Hanukkah? Go celebrate by the world’s largest menorah! Hanukkah may be over, but the menorah may still be standing and will be up again next year.

1. Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

The tree lighting is a huge televised event filled with performances and appearances by many famous people. If you’re not able to make the tree lighting, stop by just to see the tree and all the lights in Rockefeller Center! The rest of the Plaza and stores surrounding the tree are decorated and lit up, so it is always fun to walk around the Plaza and watch the lights and the occasional light shows put on by the surrounding stores. Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, the lights and decorations are beautiful to watch.

1. Ice skating in Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, or Central Park

Ice skating is a fun sport that anyone can enjoy. Grab a few friends and go to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, or Central Park to take advantage of the best outdoor ice rinks in New York City. The cost is reasonable and it’s a fun experience everyone should try. Ice skating around by all the lights and underneath the Christmas tree is a great way to get into the holiday spirit.

1. 5th Avenue Holiday Window Displays

Most people think the Macy’s window displays are the only ones to visit; however, many other stores have extraordinary window displays. For example, the pictures above are from the Saks Fifth Avenue window and light display. Many others stores around 5th avenue create elaborate holiday displays and are a great way to entertain yourself in the city if you don’t want to spend money. Make sure you don’t miss out on seeings these amazing displays and decorations!

1. Holiday Train Show at The Botanical Gardens and Grand Central Station

Something not everyone knows about are the holiday train displays and shows put on in the Botanical Gardens and in Grand Central Station. In the Botanical Gardens, more than 150 landmarks have been created from leaves and branches and in Grand Central Station there are vintage trains and a 34-foot-long model of New York City. There are even models of the North Pole in both locations! These exhibits are here longer than some of the other holiday celebrations and displays, so take advantage of seeing these cool train shows.

1. Kwanzaa Celebration at The American Museum of Natural History

This Kwanzaa celebration is filled with traditional song, dance, and crafts. This is a fun event that the American Museum of Natural History puts on for the public in late December. It is a full day of events including a small marketplace with vendors selling traditional crafts and clothing. Even if you do not celebrate Kwanzaa, this is a great event to attend and a good way learn about another culture and understand more about Kwanzaa celebrations. Stop by the Museum on December 27th to experience the festivities.

1. New Year’s Eve in Times Square

New Year’s Eve in Times Square is one of the biggest holiday events to occur in the city. Thousands of people show up to witness the ball dropping at midnight and to watch the many performances that occur throughout the evening. This is a fun celebration and fun way to bring in the New Year. If you’re okay with standing outside in the cold with lots of people, then this is the event for you. If you’re not a fan, you can always watch it on television; however, watching the ball drop live is something everyone should do at least once in their life, so why not go this year!

1. New Year’s Eve Grand Army Plaza Fireworks on New Year’s Eve

Many people think the Time Square ball drop is the only thing going on in the city, but this is not true. There are many other events that occur this same night including the Grand Army Plaza Fireworks. This is a great option for people who want a unique experience outside NYC to ring in the New Year.  Everyone loves fireworks!

1. New York Road Runners Midnight Run on New Year’s Eve

Another thing to do to enjoy the city on New Year’s Eve is in Road Runners Midnight Run. The run begins as soon as the clock strikes midnight and when the fireworks begin. It is a short 4-mile run around Central Park and is an experience everyone should try. Even if you don’t want to run, go cheer on all the runners and watch the firework show while you’re there! You might even be inspired to join the race the following New Year.

My name is Lauren Denker and I am part of the class of 2019 at Hofstra University. I have joined the HerCampus chapter at Hofstra University. I am majoring in Public Relations and hope to work in the television and film industry in the future!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.