This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whether it’s your significant other, much needed time with your friends, or a way to treat yourself, it’s always nice to go out. In college, however, it is sometimes difficult to afford elaborate dates. Here are some ideas that can make your next outing sweet and adventurous, without breaking your budget!

1. Museums

There is no better way to get to know someone than discussing unique objects and artwork that make you think. Many museums offer lower addmission prices to students when they present an ID. Some places even have special offers like college night where you can get in for free!

2. Cheap show tickets

Broadway? Concerts? Coffeehouses? You no longer need to spend a fortune in order to enjoy the arts. Apps like TodayTix help theater fans see great shows for a low price. You may be placed in the tip top row, but you will still enjoy fun tunes while surrounded by people you care about. Taping of late night shows are also free!

3. Picnic at a local landmark

Sometimes food tastes better when you’re eating it surrounded by nice scenery – Or is that just me? This can be done without even having to spend a penny, depending on what you bring! Take some Student Center grub to Eisenhower Park or grab some fast-food and eat it on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art! The possibilities are endless.

4. Farm Activities

Enjoy some local produce, play with animals, and explore a new environment! Farms are filled with endless activities such as petting zoos, apple picking and hayrides. There are fresh scents, quality food, and a whole lot of memories to make.  

5. Ice skating

With the holiday season coming up, the excuse to do cliché movie activities is on the rise. Join hand in hand or fall on the ice with the ones you care most about. Inside or outside, ice skating is a great activity any time of year and you can splurge on some hot chocolate afterwards!

6. Cook together

Learn some life skills and get to indulge in your own creation afterwards. What could be better? Cooking does not need to be anything fancy, start with something simple, like these fajitas, and work your way up. Just make sure you don’t start a fire! (Except between yourselves *wink *wink*).

7. Mini golf

No experience necessary – mini golf is a great way to test your skills or laugh at your group’s lack of. Enjoy cute snack bar treats, interesting architecture, and act like you know what terms like “par” mean.

8. Volunteering

Helping the community while having a great time with friends. Volunteering is a great way to learn your partner’s interest and have a sense of fulfillment in yourself. Animal shelters, 5k runs and nursing homes are all great ways to get involved with your greater community.

9. Hike

This is practically free! Find a forest or small climbing area near you and encourage your loved one to make it through the next challenging step. Or you can laugh at yourselves as you both fall down. Some really cool local state parks include the abandoned Kings Park Psychiatric Center in Kings Park, NY filled with interesting graffiti and lots of great climbing space.

10. Game night

Sporting events? Board games? Whatever your preference, there are ways to have fun on a budget. Many professional sports leagues offer inexpensive tickets for college students, or you can play fun board games in your own home.

Kimberly Donahue is a junior at Hofstra University majoring in broadcast journalism. She aspires to constantly be sharing the stories of people across the world as a broadcast news reporter for a major network, but for now is exploring other realms of journalism and writing about her other interests including reading, dreaming, science, and more. Currently, she is serving as the News Director for WRHU, Hofstra University's two time Marconi award winning station. When she's not on the go she's falling down a Wikipedia black hole, you can find her binge watching YouTube segments from late night talk shows.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.