What I’ve learned from working at Chipotle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Okay, you hear college girls brag all the time about how much they ~love~ Chipotle and how Chipotle is their life but hear me out. When I applied to Chipotle in March, I had completely forgotten about it when I got the phone call in April to start orientation. My first day of Orientation, I sat in a small office with a girl named Kelly and watched videos about the Chipotle lifestyle. I was just so hype about rolling burritos. Three months later and I’ve never rolled a successful burrito. I reminisce on the day Kelly and I sat in the office watching those videos. We joke about how clueless we were that day and how we had no clue Chipotle would actually become our lives.

When I told my boyfriend of the time that I got a job at Chipotle, he said “You’re better than that”. I should of seen then that he wasn’t for me. (Sucks for him though cause I’m rollin’ in the dough and he ain’t gettin’ none!!!) This past summer has been the best summer by far because of this great company. My first week of work, I’m not exaggerating when I say that I came home crying every single day. My feet hurt so bad that I would crawl up the steps. After my second week, I couldn’t feel my thumb and I was seriously concerned. Now, I find bruises and cuts all over my body and just laugh like it’s completely normal! Chipotle employees are strong warriors. I think that should be a part of the 13 characteristics.

(Me, posing in my natural environment)

The words top performer, empowerment, and high standards probably mean something completely different to me than normal people. Thanks to Chipotle, I’ve learned to push myself harder and always strive for excellence. When you think the Dining Room is spotless, get your sanitized rag out and make it even more spotless! Go the extra mile to make someone’s day even if you’re having a shitty one. Take pride in yourself and your team. I’ve learned how to be patient, make executive decisions, and be more confident in my abilities and self. I can honestly say I’ve become a better person because of this popular Mexican restaurant.

Three months ago, I thought these people were absolutely nuts for being so into their jobs. The first meeting when our boss brought donuts and we talked about how to make Chipotle better, I was looking at the people around me thinking “This is just Chipotle. Why are they taking this so seriously?” Slowly, I became one of them. For some of the team, this is just a summer job to earn a little extra cash but for others Chipotle is how they pay their bills, feed their children, earn an education. There’s so much more going on behind the scenes than customers see while waiting in line. Crew members deserve your respect and appreciation. After seeing how hard they work everyday, they need to know they’re doing a great job. The next time you give a Chipotle worker shit: Why don’t you try putting a whole truckload of items away in the walk-in 7 am on Saturday when you’d rather be sleeping? Or cleaning a whole stack of dishes at 1 in the morning only to have 100 more to do?

I am so thankful for the people I worked with this summer. My team elevated me and helped me get better each day. Being a part of a team that cares about you and the restaurant makes you want to care also. They always kept me on my feet and positive. When I needed them, they were there and if I did something wrong (like drop a few dozen IZZE bottles or spill a tub of vinaigrette) they didn’t get mad but help me clean up my mess. I am so thankful for my team because together we make our Chipotle successful. Each person plays a major role in having the restaurant run smoothly.

Even though i’m going back to school for a couple months, I know when I step foot into my Chipotle in December it’ll still feel like home. Some days, I swore I hated it. The customers would be mean, I’d have to make way too much guacamole, or the line would be solid for four hours and I never got a chance to pee. Yet, here I am, so incredibly glad I got to spend my summer at Chipotle. Even though this is the palest I’ve ever been during the summer! So here’s to my replacement: Good luck, kid. I’m going to miss the regulars, eating a burrito everyday, and my friends. Enjoy your job cause I sure as hell did. 

I’ve learned a lot from working at Chipotle this summer. I’ve learned patience, consistency, balance, pride, integrity, etc. More importantly, I’ve learned everyone could learn to be a bit more joyful like Leida, hardworking like Katy, sweet like Andy, confident like Bri, warmhearted like Steve, helpful like Dillion, driven like Natasha, giving like Kameron, optimistic like Maria, proud like Toya, and understanding like Anthony. Thank you, team. 

(My ride or dies)

Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed