Top Five Places to go Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

It seems like we have it all here at High Point University –from the best dining options, to a movie theater and even arcade! Yet, it’s still nice to go beyond the gates sometimes and explore. If you take the time to adventure, you can find tons of great places to eat, play, and make memories.

Hanging Rock National State Park- Hanging Rock is about an hour away from High Point University but definitely worth the drive. You should make sure to clear your schedule for the day before you plan to go because you’ll want to have enough time to hike all the trails. Trails vary from beginner, intermediate, and difficult but all guarantee for a fun time! The views are breathtaking and make for the best photo opportunities. If a trip to Hanging Rock is in your near future, make sure to look at the weather when choosing the best day to go. On a nice day, you’ll be able to jump swim in the waterfalls! Remember to bring plenty of water and wear appropriate shoes to hike in.

DaBean Café- DaBean is a cute little hideaway in High Point to escape to whenever you need some time to relax and un-wind. DaBean offers tons of yummy food and drinks. There’s a beautiful fountain located in the middle of the café, along with comfy couches and chairs to do your homework in and sip on coffee. DaBean also has a yoga studio located inside and radiates a positive atmosphere! The café is a great place to go whether you just want some time to yourself, have a first date, or are just going with some friends!

Penny Path Crepes- Although Penny Path is located in an area of town that doesn’t seem like much is going on, it’s a definite to-go spot on our list! Penny Path is a tiny restaurant that offers big flavors. You can order sweet or savory crepes, or build your own! During busy times, it’s hard to find a place to sit inside but when it’s nice out they offer outside seating. Penny Path is one of the many great places to eat in High Point!

La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant #2- The first time I went to La Ha’s, I was a bit nervous because, as we say in New Jersey, the place seemed like a “dive” but dives make for the best places. La Ha’s is a great place to go whether you are just going for dinner or for a night on the town. The nachos they bring to your table before your meal are to die for! Ask for queso on the side to make your experience even better. La Hacienda has really tasty Mexican food for great prices. On a night out with friends (if you’re of drinking age) they also offer awesome beverages. Their margaritas are the size of your head!

Barberitos- Barberitos is a favorite for every High Point University student. Why wouldn’t we love Barbs when one of their walls is painted “I love HPU”? Barberitos’ food always kills your hunger while being super scrumptious! If you aren’t able to finish your meal (because it’s typically large) you can always take it to go and enjoy it again later on! With endless nachos, multiple choice of salsa, and a pepper mascot in a cowboy hat, what’s not to love?

There are tons of places to explore around High Point and other cities nearby. On a nice day, it’s fun to rent a bike from the activities table in Slane and ride around town or on the Greenway. Its fun to find your “secret” spot that isn’t even on this list! 

Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed
Grace Beal

High Point

Grace Elizabeth Beal is a Senior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina. She is a founding sister of the Kappa Omicron chapter of Alpha Chi Omega, and works with the Ritual and Fraternity Board. She is also a member of Lambda Pi Eta, is an International Ambassador, a Peer Mentor, a Student Justice, and works as a Program Assistant for The Women's and Gender Studies Program. Grace also spends her time writing for the Campus Chronicle and hosts her own show on HPU's radio station HPUR The Sound. Grace will graduate in May 2015 with a degree in Communications Journalism, and with a Political Science and Women's and Gender Studies minor.