Taylor Cohen: Making a Difference for Incoming Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Name: Taylor Cohen

Hometown: Fuquay Varina, N.C.

Major: Human Relations

Year: 2015

Favorite Quote: “She was fiercely independent. Brilliant, and beautiful, and brave. In two years, she had grown more than anyone I had ever known. She is going to change the world some day, and I’m not sure she even knows it.” – One Tree Hill

Fun Fact: I started my own swim lesson business when I was fifteen.

HC High Point: What drew you to become a student leader at High Point?

Taylor Cohen: When I talked to people around campus on my visits, I felt that they were completely genuine and enthusiastic about the school and all of the opportunities that High Point has to offer. Because I saw this passion in the people I met, I wanted to have the chance to get involved on campus and hopefully impact other younger students in a positive way as well.

HC High Point: What organizations are you a member of on and off campus?

Taylor Cohen: On campus, I am a member of Alpha Chi Omega. I also work as a University Ambassador for admissions and an International Ambassador for the Study Abroad department. I will also be serving as a Recruitment Counselor this semester. Next semester, I have an internship at the Courtyard Marriott here in High Point.

HC High Point: What drew you to these leadership opportunities?

Taylor Cohen: I always wanted to be a University Ambassador, because it was the people I spoke to on tour who really impacted my decision to come to High Point. I know without a doubt it was the best decision I ever made. High Point has given me countless opportunities, my favorite being the opportunity to study abroad twice. I joined Alpha Chi Omega, because I wanted to find a family of girls who I could lean on, trust and constantly laugh with, and was fortunate to find just that. Since I was able to find that family in Alpha Chi Omega, I chose to be a Recruitment Counselor this year to help other girls find this as well.

HC High Point: How do you wish to make a difference on campus using these opportunities?

Taylor Cohen: I really hope that through taking on leadership roles across campus, I am able to inspire others. Being a college student, especially one who is very involved, can be very overwhelming at times, and it is seeing others manage this crazy part of life that always encouraged me to keep trying new things and keep being active.

HC High Point: What are your future goals and aspirations?

Taylor Cohen: Time is flying towards graduation in May, and to be entirely honest, I’m not sure what the future holds. I have interests in a variety of areas like hospitality management, human resources, event management, and sales, so the next step could be anywhere. Wherever I wind up, it’s important to me that I am able to travel, have a career that I love, and one day… in the distant future – or so it seems now, have a family.

HC High Point: Who do you look to for inspiration/what figures do you find to have admirable qualities?

Taylor Cohen: My grandfather is a huge inspiration to me every single day. He was a World War II veteran, a dedicated family man, passionate, kind, and strong. The values I learned from him are a huge part of who I am, and I strive to be a woman that he would be proud of. I’m really excited that Tom Brokaw is our graduation speaker, as he was one of my grandfather’s favorite journalists!

Grace Beal

High Point

Grace Elizabeth Beal is a Senior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina. She is a founding sister of the Kappa Omicron chapter of Alpha Chi Omega, and works with the Ritual and Fraternity Board. She is also a member of Lambda Pi Eta, is an International Ambassador, a Peer Mentor, a Student Justice, and works as a Program Assistant for The Women's and Gender Studies Program. Grace also spends her time writing for the Campus Chronicle and hosts her own show on HPU's radio station HPUR The Sound. Grace will graduate in May 2015 with a degree in Communications Journalism, and with a Political Science and Women's and Gender Studies minor.