A Letter to My Siblings: I’m Sorry I Went Away to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

To my younger siblings:

College is definitely an adjustment, but I never thought the most difficult part would be missing both of you. I know we may not always get along and we do have our moments, but what I miss the most while being at college is being able to see you both every day. I miss picking you up from school, hearing about day, helping you with your homework, or even cheering you on at your sporting events. On any given day, I would trade anything to be able to go back to how things used to be and relive those memories. I know that going away to college was the best thing for me, but I constantly wish that I was still able to be there for both of you. 

From the day both of you were born, I told everyone that I was going to be the best big sister. This is quite a challenge in and of itself, but even more challenging with you being over 500 miles away. It’s hard not being able to watch you grow up, but I know you have each other to rely on. You both had the opportunity to see me grow up and share memories that helped me develop into the person I am today. I hope that I can still do the same and that you know that I will always be here for you just like you have always been there for me. 

To my younger sister: you have been working very hard this year and it can be seen in your terrific grades. I know mom and dad are very proud of you and so am I. I know high school is not the easiest of times–between schoolwork and friend-drama, it can seem like a never-ending cycle. But, enjoy it while it lasts since it goes by so fast–I would know. High school is an experience that helps you mature and prepares you for your next journey. I’ll let you know now that college is 10x more difficult than high school…so enjoy the time you have left there and make the most of it. 

To my not so little brother: you need to stop growing because every time I come home, you look even taller. As you are about to enter high school, remember that this is a new and exciting opportunity for you. High school will be full of new possibilities and I hope you take full advantage of everything that is offered to you. I wish nothing but the best for you and have no doubt that you will excel.

I want you both to know that I am never more than a text or FaceTime away. I will always be there for you, even if at the time I physically can’t be. You are constantly on my mind and I hope you realize how special you are to me. I may not always let you know how much you mean to me, but I truly could not imagine life without you. You both are blessings in my life that I am forever grateful for. Even on my roughest days at school, calling you both can always put a smile on my face. I am so thankful to have siblings that I am able to miss so much. The distance between us may make it difficult at times, but it just makes going home for break–and the memories we make–much more valuable.

Love always,

The Best Big Sister 

Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.