This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Justin Bieber is no longer a teenager, he is also no longer singing about ‘one more time’. In his new songs, ‘Sorry’, and, ‘What Do You Mean’, Justin is asking the questions both men and women are wondering in the Gen-Y dating scene.

“What Do You Mean” shot up to number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the first couple days it was released. According to billboard.com, it is the 23rd song to ever begin at No. 1 in the Hot 100’s in the past 57 years. “Sorry”, which was quickly released soon after, shot up the Hot 100 as well. 

Justin Bieber, 21, is now a fixture in music once again, but for a different reason. His new songs have a focus and a new meaning on what all college students go through in the dating scene. 

In his song, “What Do You Mean”, Justin is speaking to not only men, but women of the dating world as well. Asking them one simple question: What do you mean? What do you want?

The real question: what does Gen-Y want from dating? 

In this complete “hookup” culture, many of us are asking ourselves what does our significant other want, and when he or she says something, is it code for something that I might be missing? The track is just the 23rd song ever to start at No. 1, launching with sales of 337,000 downloads.

Justin’s newest song, ‘Sorry’, is for all of the young men in the metaphorical dog house. Justin is saying, “Is it enough to say sorry, and both say it and forget it?”

Justin starts the song with, “You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty, you know I try, but I don’t do well with apologies,” a symbol for all those boys who, at some point, did not say what the significant other was thinking or wanting.

Besides being catchy, these songs represent an entire generation who can relate to the constant pressures of the dating world. So next time you listen to Justin Bieber, or any artist, try to dig for a deeper meaning.

Sophomore Journalism major trying to make her way through college.
Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.