Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

It’s been about a month since we started school here at High Point, and I’m embarrassed to say that I’m still settling in.  Since this is my sophomore year, you would think I would have been able to easily adapt back into the college setting.  Unfortunately, it’s been the complete opposite.  It’s been difficult getting used to living in college again: doing my own laundry, cleaning my bathroom, going to class, doing homework, going to a ton of meetings.  It’s definitely been a stressful month since I’m 10x busier and more involved than I was this time my freshman year.  However, I have compiled a list of how exactly I’ve managed to get back into the swing of things and how you can, too:

1. Use your planner–for real.

I’m sure you’ve always used a planner to write down which text book pages you need to read or which math problems you need to do—and if you didn’t, how on Earth did you remember you had to read pages 14-32?! And over the summer, you most likely didn’t have super packed days that you needed to keep track of what time everything was.  You probably went to the pool at 10, worked at 3, and then hung out with your friends after dinner.  However, I’ve had to utilize my planner way more this year than I even had to last year.  In an average day, I have at least two classes, work, some type of sorority event, a dinner date, a club meeting, and homework to do.  There’s definitely not enough hours in the day, but by really taking advantage of your planner you can try to fit in everything anyway.

2. Start to focus again.

The very first couple weeks of school are all about getting your syllabi and learning what your classes are going to be about.  The work isn’t heavy yet, so you’re able to still stay up till the crack of dawn hanging out with your friends or sleeping all hours of the day.  However, when your classes actually start to get serious, like when you’re assigned your first test, paper, or group project, it’s time to start focusing.  You can’t allow yourself to dilly-dally all September—you have to start getting your butt to work.  Don’t procrastinate on your homework, actually go to class, and spend time in the library.  You’ll still have time for fun, but it’s time to start focusing on what really matters.

3. Get your sleep schedule back on track.

You probably had the oddest sleep hours over the summer.  You slept all day, stayed up all night, and did it all over again everyday for three months.  Now you have to be up for a 7:50 class or a 6am practice.  In college, it’s pretty much impossible to go to bed before midnight, but you can always try.  And even if you can’t, at least utilize your time while you’re up that late, like getting all your homework done, going to the gym, or cleaning your room.  This way, when you need to choose whether to do that stuff or sleep, you can sleep!  Stay away from caffeine close to bedtime, try not to stare at your cell phone screen right up until your eyes flutter close, and sleep in a cool room to help you fall asleep quicker.  Also, it’s not the biggest deal if you can’t go out every night.  If you feel tired or sick, GO TO BED.  You’re not missing out on much!

Getting back into the swing of having all the responsibilities that college entails is going to be hard, but just work hard and be patient because you’ll be back to the way you were last semester in no time! And just remember…..

Kayla Barry

High Point

Born in Massachusetts, living in North Carolina.  Proud sister of the Theta Alpha chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma.  HPU 2018.
Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.