Alicia Doyle Does It All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Our first Campus Celebrity of the year is senior Alicia Doyle. Alicia is from Long Island, New York, studying Strategic Communications here at High Point. She had the opportunity to go to the DNC in Charlotte last week and work behind the scenes as a part of the action. In addition to working the DNC, Alicia is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, on Panhellenic Council, serves as Manager for Rent the Runway at HPU, and is the Campus It Girl for Rent the Runway, providing a closet of designer dresses for you to look fabulous in. We sat down with Alicia when she had a free minute (which is hard to believe!) to get an exclusive look at her feelings on the DNC.

HC: So tell me about how you got this opportunity.
AD: Well, I was a summer intern with Fox News Channel in New York City this summer. I worked in the Production Department, which is where all of the behind the scenes convention planning went on, both for the RNC and the DNC. I got along so well with my team, and they invited me to work the DNC in Charlotte because I was so close by at HPU!

HC: That’s awesome! So what exactly are your responsibilities?
AD: Technically, I’m a runner and a runner’s responsibilities are a little bit different than what I’ve been doing, just because of my previous experience with Fox and how things work. So as we begin to go live from Charlotte with all of the shows, I’m in charge of greeting guests, making sure the anchors get to hair and makeup on time, and making sure that guests enter and exit the studios quickly and quietly without messing up the flow of the show. For the most part, the guests have been on with our anchors in NY and DC, and are privy to the way things work at the conventions. I met Karl Rove and Bret Baier!

HC: So you play a pretty big role in making things run smoothly! What’s the atmosphere like?
AD: The atmosphere is CRAZY! You literally can’t get anywhere without ten different passes. This morning we went to get Starbucks outside the barrier that was put up by the city and it took us 30 minutes to get back through security…it was like at the airport!

HC: That’s intense. What are some big names or things to look out for?
AD: Surprisingly a lot of celebrities come to these events. Since the DNC shuts down the city of Charlotte, they also have control of all the bars, clubs, restaurants etc. Sadly I get to work at 5:45 AM and don’t leave until about 7 PM so I doubt I’ll see anyone famous besides politicians.

Behind the scenes snapshot during some down time.

HC: Wow that’s a long day! Are you making a lot of good connections?
AD: Yes, definitely. I love the people I work with, so it’s not hard to keep in touch. They actually invited me to work the last Presidential Debate before the election at Hofstra University since it’s pretty close to my house and it’s during fall break!

HC: Is working so close to all the political action helping to shape or strengthen your political beliefs?
AD: I think it’s definitely strengthened my interest in politics more than my beliefs…I’m a lot more aware than I would have been if I hadn’t worked at Fox News all summer. As much as some people think that Fox brainwashes people, they did not make me think that way. I grew up in a family with hardcore values…I was very blessed, still am. Everything is my own decision.

HC: Who are your role models in the industry?
AD: My favorite thing about working at Fox this summer and being so involved in everything political that was going on was when people didn’t take me seriously because I’m “a pretty blonde.” Like really?! Just because I brush my hair and know how to put on a little makeup makes me stupid? I don’t think so. Megyn Kelly and Martha MacCallum are two of Fox’s HUGE anchors, both blonde and stunningly beautiful…and you know what? Megyn has a law degree and Martha has years of production/direction/on air/journalism experience, and both have adoring families and husbands. Those are the women we should be looking at, the ones that can do it all.

HC: What is your dream job?
AD: Oh wow, that’s a hard one! My dream job is host or co-host of a morning show like Fox & Friends or The Today Show. Something lifestyle-devoted but also touches on the things that are important. I’m a people person, so if that’s on camera that would be amazing. I’m a Kelly Ripa, not a Katie Couric. 

Christina Buttafuoco is a sophomore Communications-Journalism Major with a minor in English Writing at High Point University. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, a lover of musicals, and an avid viewer of the Food Network. Christina grew up on Long Island, NY and headed down south to North Carolina during those awkward middle school years. Before she moved, her best friend ripped out pages from a fashion magazine and told her not to forget what fashion was. She didn't. Now Christina hopes to be an editor for one of those magazines one day. For now, she is so excited to bring Her Campus to HPU.