7 Reasons Why I’m Binge-Watching “The Carrie Diaries”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

I have always been the girl that gets addicted to a show. I will binge watch it until my eyes fall out (or until I finish the series, whichever comes first). When I first came to HPU, I was worried that my seven suitemates would not be accepting of my lifestyle. Exhausted from a late Friday night and a cold rainy day, my suitemates and I decided to stay in one Saturday night. After a short discussion on what to watch, we decided to binge watch “The Carrie Diaries” on Netflix. We then proceeded to watch seven hours of “The Carrie Diaries” that night. After finishing the first season within three days, I have come to the conclusion that Carrie Bradshaw is not only the epitome of perfection, but is still one of the most relatable TV show characters, ever.

1. First of all, Carrie and her friends understand the importance of breakfast. Since coming to HPU, I have been trying out all of the places to eat. My friends and I have decided that the Silver Line Diner is the place to eat every single meal, no matter what. I am obsessed with breakfast food, and having a place on campus that my friends and I can hang out at and eat french toast and bacon, no matter what time of day it is, is one of the best things about High Point.

2. Carrie is a strong, independent woman who inspires us. Carrie Bradshaw is a high school student who has decided to take risks to become who she is supposed to be. This has inspired us all to go after the opportunities we want, support each other and become who we are truly meant to be, with or without a man by our side. 

3. Carrie and her friends keep it real and discuss the more scandalous of things. Long story short, we all have had those late night talks with our friends about love, boys, and sex.  Carrie, Mouse and Maggie get that.

4. Carrie has meltdowns too. We’ve all been there… 3 AM, 2 papers due, a test at 8. We know it’s okay to get stressed out, but it always seems like everyone in TV shows and movies have their shit together. Carrie shows us the real side to being a teenager, and we appreciate that.

5. Carrie knows that there is more to life than dwelling in the past. A lot of people go to college and find that they dwell in the past, discussing their high school and talking about their old friends and memories, rather than making new ones. Carrie reminds us to live our lives and have no regrets in life, or college.

6. Carrie knows what it’s like to have a fashion crisis. I went to a private high school where we were forced to wear uniforms. I never learned how to dress myself in a way that was cute, every single day (it’s exhausting). I have expanded my wardrobe from the khaki shorts and polo shirts, but now find myself staring at a closet full of clothes, yelling to my suitemates, “What should I wear?! I have nothing to wear!”

7. Carrie isn’t afraid to tell someone how much they mean to her. I have the best friends in the world back home, and I miss them terribly. After being in college for a month now, I have started making new friendships. I love them all so much already and know that I’m about to have the best, craziest, and most fun 4 years of my life.

I am so happy that I have made a solid group of friends already. I am excited to see what life brings our way, and I am even more excited to see what show we binge watch next.

Veronica Fulton is a freshman at High Point University. She is studying Communications, with a concentration in Electronic Media Productions and a minor in Theater. Veronica plans on directing TV or Film someday, but her end goal is to direct a Broadway musical. Veronica is very involved on campus, she is a Media Fellow, she writes and takes photos for the Campus Chronicle, and is in the National Broadcasting Society. You could probably find Veronica with a coffee in her hands and netflix on her mind. 
Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.