This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Moving to a student dorm can be a tempting yet the most reasonable choise to make when you want to become independent from your parents. Dorm living has its unique marks compared to a normal rented place. 

Living in a student dorm is one of a kind. You have all different students from various fields and ages, even exchange students living there. It is also a bonding thing to live in a dorm, which is why many students prefer it. It can be a topic to discuss together and share experiences about. 

It is relatively easy and effortless to live in a student dorm. You may have your friends in the same building, grocery shops just around the corner, as well as public transport just minutes away. 

The facilities most dorms offer are reasonable. Many places have washing machines and a drying room, also a sauna where you can wind down. There may also be a club room to use for parties and bigger gatherings. Depending on the dorm, you may have the opportunity to use them all for free. So great!

It’s common in a student dorm that you’ll have people you share the kitchen and bathroom with, unlike in living all solo. That arrangement brings many positive sides, but also some tricky things. Living with many neighbours can be weird when you might not even see them at all due different schedules. Yet communication, whether it happens by texting or speaking, is the key to success in harmonious living. 

Like all things in life this phase too shall pass. The life in a student dorm is limited, you will not stay there forever. So, there’s no need to have pressure or worries about the housing arrangement.  

To conclude, living in a student dorm is…

1.    Relatively affordable

2.    Student-friendly

3.    Temporary

and

4.    A fun experience!

Just say yes to dorm living! Good luck with all!

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor