Style > Fashion

Why black will always be loved by fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

A few weeks ago, I was privileged enough to visit the Muśee Yves Saint Laurent Paris, which takes place in the former studio of the designer himself. Not only was the exhibition beautifully established with a strong interest in details, but for the first time when visiting a museum or a gallery of any kind, I found myself glued to the exhibition labels. It really piqued my interest in the designer, actually to the extent, that still a week after the visit I found myself reading about the turns of his life until the early hours. I found his life story fascinating, but most of all, there was one quote that took me by: “I love black because it affirms, designs and styles. A woman in a black dress is a pencil stroke.” (Yves Saint Laurent)

I was fangirling when I found out that I have something in common with him. If you know me, you know that I only wear black. There’s just something about it and as hard as I find it to explain what it is exactly that makes it so special, so chique as Saint-Laurent himself could have put it, this post shall be my attempt at it.

As someone who grew up in the north, I have an appreciation for simplicity and minimalism. Black as a colour has also been a big trademark for the Scandi style that has been ever so prevalent in the fashion industry in the past year. And that is, for sure, one of the biggest advantages of black as a colour for clothing. It is minimalistic and it doesn’t scream for attention, but yet it looks very elegant in its simplicity. Do I even need to mention how easy it is to pair with any other colour, shade, pattern, fabric? That also goes for anyone wearing it, it simply suits everyone.

However, what personally strikes me the most about black as a colour for wearables, is the power it carries. It is said that black signals strength, power and authority. I mean there must be something behind the prestige of the black-tie dress code. Black works wonders when you’re having one of those days when an extra lift wouldn’t hurt. Not only does it lift you when feeling low, but also when you’re feeling most yourself, sexy and confident. Why not also when all you wanna do is to have a good cry. Black serves you in all situations and even more than that, it never fails at looking good.

Next time you’re standing in front of your closet, try on an all-black outfit. I know it might feel weird at first, but if you’re someone who, for any reason, never tried it before, please give it a go. You can also try to give it a bit of structure by combining different materials such as jeans, leather, or wool, because as much power as all black itself carries, an element of interest can be added by experimenting with layers and materials. Not to forget accessories that will finalise your badass look.

That being said: “A woman in a black dress is a pencil stroke.”

Mimmi Mommo

Helsinki '25

German major in the University of Helsinki. Currently in love with the Alps, lyrical jazz and gel nails.