This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

What’s better for the modern soul than the occasional binge-watching on Netflix? Granted, it’s not exactly healthy to indulge in watching an entire season of a show in one evening (and possibly stretching it into the night). But of course, we don’t have to go overboard. Sometimes, though, this is just one solution to make you forget all the stressful things that are going around you and really forget them for a moment (like the awful situation we’re living in right now).

Occasionally we need a stronger form of escapism and that is what shows are capable of offering. But you’d really have to immerse yourself in what you’re watching in order to actually relieve stress, so: put away that phone. Seriously. You’ll do yourself a favor. So, what to watch? Here are some suggestions from Netflix to keep you entertained or even occupied so you know you’ll have something to watch in the evenings because why not? Some of them you might have already seen but feel like could go back to, and some might have only crossed your screen.

Arrested Development (5 seasons)

This show possesses an absurd type of hilarity that sometimes makes you want to go back and hear again what the characters said. The show is about the Bluth family whose building company’s corruption is exposed and ruins them, which leaves the responsibility of keeping the company and family together to Michael Bluth, the second and most responsible son. The dialogue is one of the funniest even though there is an occasional, more shocking (racist) comment. But these are not really too surprising when they come from a formerly wealthy, dysfunctional white family. A lot of its comedy also comes from the way it’s filmed in which it resembles a reality tv-show and a documentary with a narrator.  

Community (6 seasons)

This is another comedy with so many ridiculous scenarios that you’re bound to think “who came up with this stuff?” The show is about a diverse group of community college students of different ages and backgrounds, who’ve formed a study group and who are looking to find a better direction in life. Although one of them, Jeff, is obliged to because he managed to get a fake bachelor’s degree from law school. As a middle-aged white man, he naturally becomes the group’s indignant “leader” trying to keep everything together. What makes the show particularly hilarious is how the community college puts together all kinds of events, some of which result in ridiculous wars that literally destroy parts of the campus. The running gag? The absolutely funny dean appearing to his “favorite study group” in different costumes and making all kinds of dean-related puns imaginable.

Space Force (1 season)

This show is absolute gold when it comes to the relationship dynamic between the characters of  Steve Carell and John Malkovich. In a way, the show satirizes the United States Armed Forces by beginning with a group of people that is given the task of establishing a sixth branch of the Armed Forces: The Space Force. Not only does this sound ridiculous in that it sounds like a superhero franchise for kids, Steve Carell’s character General Mark R. Naird actually laughs at the idea until he’s told that it’s a real deal. (However, “Space Force” is real and was founded in 2019 under the Trump administration. In fact, the show was inspired by its comically absurd name.) General Naird is given a disastrous task of leading this new branch which doesn’t have all the resources, and ends up hurrying to create a space colony on the moon. (The second season is being developed this year.)

GLOW (3 seasons)

Set in the 1980s, the show starts with Ruth, a struggling LA actress who auditions for a wrestling promotion (a business that performs professional wrestling shows) with many other women looking for acting jobs. A young producer and an older director put together a group that comes to be known as the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. The show was inspired by a real group of wrestlers with the same name that was founded in the 80s. It’s another show about the entertainment industry, sure, but its premise was something new. It’s also interesting to see how this diverse group of women comes to be represented, for as actresses, they’re also given different characters as they become wrestlers. The women create narratives – funny and absurd ones – along with the wrestling. It’s all very 1980s. 

How to Get Away with Murder (6 seasons)

This is an incredible legal thriller, and its star Viola Davis makes the show absolute gold. Her character, Annalise Keating, is a university law professor who forms a legal intern group out of five of her students, basically giving them the chance to learn closely and thoroughly from one of the best criminal defense attorneys in Philadelphia. The series instantly becomes thrilling as it begins with scenes going back and forth between the group of students trying to hide a murder, and the events that lead up to it. The show progressively becomes more disturbing and thrilling as the characters get tangled in difficult legal cases and as their backstories are gradually revealed along with their struggles. It can be a tough show to watch since it also deals with injustice, family tragedies and abandonment as well as physical, sexual and substance abuse.

Dead to Me (2 seasons)

This is one of the saddest shows you’ll see, but it has its funny moments that make the show an interesting tragicomedy. It starts with two grieving women in a support group for people who have lost a loved one, but as the show progresses and the women, Jen and Judy become friends, strange revelations come to light especially about the latter. The comedy but also beauty of the show is in how the protagonists are opposites: Jen has a spiky personality and possesses a lot of anger and resentment while Judy keeps herself positive and kind throughout their friendship. The show starts with Jen wanting to find the person who killed her husband in a hit-and-run, but as Judy becomes close to her, she makes the series of events more difficult and suspenseful.

Disenchantment (3 seasons)

Any interest in an animated sitcom with medieval fantasy? Disenchantment is created by Matt Groening, the creator and developer of The Simpsons, who has now brought out a series with an exciting developing storyline about the protagonist, princess Bean (or Tiabeanie) of Dreamland. What makes this show unique is that we have a strong but irresponsible and alcoholic princess who is possibly bisexual or pansexual. And you know the image of how it seems like the devil is behind a person feeding them bad thoughts and ideas? Well, Bean literally has her personal devil which her father, the king, keeps calling her cat. The world of the show is really creatively developed and has so many imaginative qualities that it becomes entertaining storywise. An absolutely hysterical scene, for example, is one where the king complains about his daughter and where he went wrong, and one of his knights answers: “According to the holy books, your first mistake was educating her.”

History of Swear Words (documentary series, 6 episodes)

How about an entertaining documentary series? This culturally educational, albeit comical and therefore not so serious program introduces us to the history and etymology of six curse words which, for discretion, I won’t be listing here. But it’s not just people telling us how they use the F-word or what they associate with the B-word, for example. There are actual experts who draw interesting insights from cognitive science, linguistics and women’s studies, for example. And naturally, you also have comedians who, as experts in entertainment, consider the words and bring in their amusing commentary. The host is Nicholas Cage who presents the episodes in a study-type room and somehow effectively balances his curse word-filled monologues with such gravity and absurdity that it becomes kind of perfect.

Pretend It’s a City (miniseries, 7 episodes)  

This documentary series stars the witty author and public speaker Fran Lebowitz. Since she talks a lot about living in New York City, the show also stars the incredible cultural capital of the Eastern U.S. Directed by Martin Scorsese, the show features intriguing conversations between Lebowitz and the film director with topics like money, the arts, health, transportation and NYC as a historical and developing city with its good and bad qualities. In a sense, it’s kind of a vanity project from Mr. Scorsese because why would someone make a documentary about NYC if they didn’t have a special love for the intimidating city? But the show becomes fascinating and even insightful because of Lebowitz’s views on life, its pleasures and challenges. While she seems to represent old school attitudes towards New York and certain aspects of life, she still expresses thoughts and advice on modern life that are worth the attention.

You also obviously have your modern classics like The Office, How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family to keep you occupied for a bit longer; and some incredible dramas like Money Heist and Ozark to keep you thrilled. If you’ve thought about British shows like Derry Girls and Sex Education, definitely check them out or give them a rewatch.

Helsinki Contributor
An English major in University of Helsinki who adores culture's most valuable and beautiful subjects like literature and art.