What to Do and See in Tallinn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Tallinn is one of the easiest travel destinations for us students – apart from traveling within Finland. It’s very easy to book a cheap cruise to Tallinn, one that doesn’t cost much (especially if you split the price with a few friends) and that is quick and manageable during the weekend.

There are a few things I really recommend you do in Tallinn (aside from the compulsory shopping in Viru Keskus):

• In the Old Town, on the edge of the town square there’s a medieval restaurant called III Draakon. They serve incredible pastries and elk soup to die for! For some truly medieval atmosphere eat inside in the warmth and dim lighting. 
  • If you decide to have lunch at III Draakon, consider tasting wonderfully delicious Russian cuisine for dinner at Troika, which is also located the town square in Old Town. 
  • Good food isn’t the only attraction in the Old Town. On the edge of the Old Town, there are several lookout spots, such as this one:
  • The last thing I’d like to recommend is a visit to the Tallinn Zoo: there are buses that take you straight there quickly from the city centre and you can even get a student discount on the tickets. The zoo is lovely especially during warm weather, and the animals could not be more adorable. 
An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.