This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Spanning 96 miles, West Highland way is the go-to hiking route of Scotland. First-time long distance walkers and experienced hikers love this route alike — and what’s not to love? Scotland’s glens, bens and lochs make for breath-taking landscapes. Here are 5 tips to help you plan your trip.

1. Plan your accommodation early

Don’t leave this until the last minute — while there is a variety of accommodations to choose from, places are limited. Start planning your trip early and make booking accommodation your first priority after figuring out transportation to the starting point; you’ll thank yourself later. There are companies that help you do this if you have a bit more money to spare — look into the official website’s list of recommendations if you’re considering this option. If you’re planning on camping, it’s important to know that on the route, camping is not allowed throughout. Be sure to look into where you can set your tent ahead.

2. Pack wisely

For a first-time hiker, this can be really tricky. Where it is important to have all the basics with you (i.e. good hiking shoes and socks, a waterproof hiking jacket and trousers, warm and comfortable clothes), packing too much is a bad idea. Remember that you’ll be carrying everything with you so try to really think about what you need and look into the What to Pack lists on the official WHW page. I also recommend taking a look into the provided baggage-transfer services; we did this with and it was 100 % worth the cost!

3. Train ahead

You’ll be walking a long way so remember to get used to your boots well ahead and start walking long distances. Where getting used to walking long distances is important, this will also help you know your body better and possibly help you recognise some discomforts and aches that might bother you with long-distance walking and so you’ll learn how to treat them. I, for example, am prone to Achilles Tendinitis, and knowing what to do when you feel those first twangs of pain helps.

4. Decide how many days you want to walk

Be realistic; some people may be able to do the walk in 5 days. Others may need 10. Take as much time as you need, and remember to talk with your insurance company about a possible travel insurance extension for the days needed.

5. Enjoy the adventure

Planning your WHW hike takes a lot of time and energy and can be overwhelming at times. While planning is important, there are shops along the way and fellow hikers to help you figure things out. Don’t worry too much – usually things work out fine. Now’s the perfect time to start planning a trip for next summer.

Photos taken by author

An English major, Campus Correspondent, feminist and aspiring literary scholar.