Visiting France – The Must-Sees of Lyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

In December I made a trip to Lyon, the third-largest city in France and known as the country’s gastronomic capital. Besides delicious food, there are many interesting sights and landmarks to visit! Here are some examples that I would definitely recommend:

The Rhône and Saône Rivers: The two converging rivers provide wonderfully scenic walking or cycling routes. In the upper photo you can see the Saône by night; in the skyline you can see the basilica of Fourvièreand the Metallic tower of Fourvière (also in the lower photo).

Fourvière: Up on the hill of Fourvière you’ll find a great view of the city, as well as some important landmarks of Lyon. One of them is the magnificent Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière that is definitely worth visiting. If you don’t fancy hiking up the hill, there is a cable railway to take you on top.

Ancient Theatre of Fourvière: Also on the hill of Fourvière you’ll find this Roman theatre that is still used as a venue for cultural events!

Le Jardin des Curiosités: This charming park is a great place to pass some time sitting on a bench and admiring the view! Even in December, the weather was fine for a stroll in the park.

Vieux Lyon: Make sure to visit the historic old part of the city, where you will find lovely passageways and courtyards – and the Pink Tower!

The Christmas market: If you visit Lyon in December, don’t forget to check out the Christmas market on Place Carnot. Besides a warm, cheerful atmosphere and lots of tasty food, you’ll find great gifts for yourself or someone else – such as this rose-shaped soap in a wooden gift box.

Helsinki Contributor