Travel Tip: Croatia Beyond the Beachfront

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Picture Croatia. With the increase of tourism to Croatia in recent years, chances are you’ll think of the blue sea, a bright sun in a clear sky, your ice cream melting into your hand… the country has a long stretch of coast and an archipelago to die for.

Istria in the north, just south from Slovenia, is a good destination to consider if you’re going in summer but worry about insufferable temperatures. Istria is noticeably cooler than, say, Dubrovnik in the south.

Below, Rovinj: the town isn’t big, but its old town is famous. Perched on a hilly peninsula, it’s narrow cobblestone streets have a rustic charm.

Did you know you don’t need to go to Rome or even Italy to see an amphitheatre? Pula, Croatia, was once the centre of Roman rule in Istria and its Arena was built during that time. Its uses as a theatre still continue: it sometime hosts concerts and festivals.

Now picture mainland Croatia. Maybe not as popular for travellers who’ve come for the beach and the tan, but worth a visit nonetheless.

Zagreb, the capital, has a lovely old town, gornji grad. The Church of St. Mark is Gothic in style but has a mosaic of tiles that represents the coats of arms of the historical kingdoms of the area. Do join a guided walking tour: it is a good way to find out more about the city’s history, both during the Middle Ages and the Yugoslavian period.

Some four hour drive from Zagreb towards the coast is the Plitvice lakes National Park. One of the most popular destinations for visitors whether from Croatia or abroad, the lakes form a network connected by rapids and waterfalls.

Guys, I think we found Middle-Earth! Did I mention the water in the Plitvice lakes is crystal clear? Unfortunately for us – but luckily for the wildlife – swimming or fishing in the lakes is prohibited. Still, definitely worth a visit – in any season, locals say. 

Ylva Biri

Helsinki '18

Ylva is a PhD student at the University of Helsinki researching the linguistics of social media discourse. When not studying, procrastinating and overthinking, she enjoys shonen anime and trying out new foods.
Helsinki Contributor