Style > Beauty

Transforming Relaxation: Top 5 Ayurveda Rituals for Mind and Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Discover the secrets of the world’s oldest holistic beauty system for total radiance and unwinding

If you feel in need of relaxation and want flawless skin and glossy hair at the same time without resorting to harsh synthetics, look no further than Ayurveda. This gentle practice originated in India over 3,000 years ago and is still going strong today. It’s based on the belief that health and wellbeing depend on a delicate balance of the three doshas (energies): Kapha, Vata, and Pitta – or earth, air, and fire. Beauty rituals play a large part in both the daily routine (dincharya) and the seasonal routine (ritucharya) in Ayurveda. Massage, yoga, and spiritual practice are combined with the application of nourishing fruits, seeds, herbs, and oils. These range from gentle cleansing ubtans (pastes) of turmeric, sandalwood, saffron, cashews, yogurt, and rose water to deeply refreshing body treatments using natural oils of coconut, sweet almond, sesame, and sunflower. So why not tap into some ancient energy in your spare time and try one of these gorgeous traditional treats for yourself?

For relaxation: 

Shirodhara

Sometimes referred to as ‘third eye’ therapy, this soothing treatment involves gently pouring liquids over the forehead (the ‘third eye’) and through the hair and scalp. The name comes from the Sanskrit words shiras, meaning head, and dhara, meaning flow.

The liquids used vary depending on your dosha type, but they can include oil, milk, buttermilk, or coconut water. This deliciously comforting sensation takes the body and mind to a place of deep peace, renewal, and effortless clarity.

For body balancing:

Abhyanga

Another favored spa treatment, this delicious indulgence often sees two therapists massaging herbal oils from head to toe, paying particular attention to the joints and marma energy points. It increases circulation and helps bring all the doshas into balance while increasing skin suppleness. This therapy is often followed by a full-body steam or herbal linen wrap.

For glossy hair:

Shiroabhyanga

One of the most popular ayurvedic spa treatments, Indian head massage is a great way to keep your hair in tip-top condition. Replenishing oils are massaged into your head, neck, and shoulders to not only encourage healing and balance in your whole body, but to make your hair fabulous as well!

For radiant skin:

Mukhalepam

Great for all skin types, this therapeutic facial includes a steam treatment and massage with herbal oils, followed by a custom-made face mask with nourishing herbs, oils, plant extracts, and ghee. It helps to tone facial muscles, combat wrinkles, and decrease pigmentation marks.

For detoxing:

Potli kizhi

Perfect for purifying your body, this nourishing fix uses warm linen-wrapped pouches (called potli) filled with medicinal rice and other grains that are dipped in herb-infused milk or oil to boost skin tone and texture. First, team it with a vigorous body scrub or steaming and afterwards, with a rejuvenating herbal bath for the ultimate detox.

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.