The Tradition of Christmas Cards: Let’s Keep it Alive!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Christmas cards are an essential part of my Christmas traditions, especially when making them (it’s, of course, nice to receive them, too). I usually like to devote a whole day to crafting them by hand and end up cluttering my whole living room with christmassy stuff. Sometimes there’s glitter all over, and I often manage to surround me with all the materials so much so, that there’s only a small clear space where I’m sitting. Maybe not the most ergonomic way to do crafts, but the process is what makes it fun. I always listen to Christmas songs at the same time, even if “Last Christmas” makes me sick at the end of the day since I’ve heard it probably 234 times already.

Much to my surprise, sending Christmas cards hasn’t been a tradition for that long. The first alleged Christmas card was sent in 1843 in England (according to Encyclopaedia Britannica), and the tradition grew from there to this day. The message hasn’t changed all that much; cards still wish “A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You.” Nowadays, sending and receiving Christmas greetings in form of a card is done all over the world. However, the habit has been decreasing because of the Internet. Most of the card-senders are older, who might have been sending cards since they were little. Fortunately, they still make you do Christmas card crafts in pre-school and primary school, so the tradition will hopefully be kicking for another century!

As it’s the time of the month that the cards should be sent so that they still get delivered before Christmas Eve or day, I want to encourage you to send your Holiday greetings by card! Receiving cards feels special, especially if they are handcrafted. They show the card-sender has made an effort to spread the Christmas cheer to their loved ones, which is always nice. If you’re hesitant about crafts, it’s okay. There are a lot of beautiful cards in the shops, and they serve the purpose of a nice gesture just as well.

Though, if you’re thinking about making cards yourself, go for it! You basically only need cardboard and pens to make a really nice card. Or, if you’re into crafts and already have some supplies, go all in and take your hot glue out of the cupboards!

You can always count on Christmas trees, stockings, angels, snowmen, presents, woodland animals and winterly scenery depending on the vibes you want for your cards. I usually pick out two-three “styles” or subjects I want to go for, depending on how many cards I will make and who they are for. Of course, you can make all of them identical, but my crafting often gets out of hand so they wouldn’t be identical even if my life depended on it…

Basically, just have fun with them. Make it an event with your friends, blast out Christmas music like I do, or make gingerbread cards if you’re more into baking. Your loved ones will definitely appreciate them, whatever they look like so at least, don’t fear failure or toss out the idea “because I can’t craft”. If five-year-olds can craft, so can you! The crafting isn’t the whole point, but getting into the Christmas spirit while doing it is.

Cecilia Ihatsu

Helsinki '19

Master's student. English philology major. Gender studies minor. A social introvert. A Reader when netflix doesn't take over. A wanna-be-yogi. A vegetarian. An optimist at heart.
Helsinki Contributor