Top 7 Must-See Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

December is the ultimate time to cuddle up inside the warmth of a blanket, with a hot cup of cocoa or glögi, to watch cheesy yet heartwarming movies about how anything is possible on Christmas. In the midst of all the hustle and bustle around us, it is nice to just take a moment to relax and be reminded of what Christmas is really about: spending time with our loved ones. Watching Christmas movies, no matter how corny, can take us back to the times when Christmas was the most exciting and magical time of the year (of course, for some of us it still is). Some of these movies have gained the status of an annual, even compulsory, tradition and for many, Christmas cannot come without these movies. We compiled a list of movies everyone should definitely see during this Christmas season, and added also a couple of Finnish classics that are an essential part of the Finnish Christmas traditions. Any of these movies is sure to get you on the holiday spirit!

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

The classic of all Christmas classics, It’s a Wonderful Life is a movie every die-hard fan of Christmas must see at least once in their lifetime. The movie tells the story of George Bailey, who on Christmas eve has gotten into such a desperate situation that he is contemplating on killing himself. An angel is sent from heaven to help him, and George gets to see what would have happened to his home town and his loved ones had he not been around.  It’s a Wonderful Life is a story about hope and perseverance, and serves as a reminder that good deeds will be rewarded. YLE shows the movie every year on Finnish television, this year at noon on 25 December.

Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

Set in New York, one of the most Christmas-y cities in the world, Miracle on 34th Street is a Christmas tale for the skeptics. The main character is a little girl called Susan (the absolutely adorable Mara Wilson) who doesn’t believe in Santa Claus because of her uptight and too-much-of-a-realist mom. When an old man comes into their lives and claims to be the real Santa, Susan and her mom need to start questioning their beliefs. Throw into the mix a handsome (lawyer) neighbor, a big law-suit and an evil conspiring rival, and the battle for the authenticity of Santa Claus can begin. The movie has just the right amount of cheesy-ness, witty-ness and even a couple of tear-jerking moments that make it a must-see for Christmas. The original version of the movie was actually released in 1947, and some of course prefer it to the 1994 remake. Whichever version of the movie you choose to see, the story itself is nevertheless timeless.

The Santa Clause (1994)

To continue with the Santa theme, The Santa Clause is even more of a comedy than the previous movies. It stars Tim Allen as Scott Calvin, who kind of causes Santa Claus to fall of the roof of his house and, well, kill him. Scott later finds out that he’s accidentally accepted to a “Santa Clause” (pun intended) and will now become Santa himself. To further complicate things, Scott has to deal with his son who witnessed the events, and also his ex-wife and her new annoying psychiatrist husband, who seriously start questioning Scott’s state of mind. The movie goes all out for Christmas vibes, with everything from Santa’s reindeer to his workshop in the North Pole (to which we Finns might have a few words to say). If Tim Allen-like comedy suits your taste then this movie is a definite hit.

Joulupukki ja noitarumpu (Santa Claus and the Magic Drum) (1996)

If you are spending your Christmas in Finland, this short animated movie is something you simply cannot miss. The movie mixes traditional western Christmas symbols with Northern mythology and ends up in an action-packed film about a shaman who tries to ruin Christmas, and Santa and his two elves trying to catch him. What makes the movie so immensely popular is not only the beautiful art by Mauri Kunnas, but also the catchy music by J. Karjalainen. Usually the movie has been on Finnish television on Christmas eve, but this year it will be available online in Yle Areena.

Joulutarina (Christmas Story) (2007)

Ever wondered how Santa Claus actually became Santa Claus? This movies has the answer! Set in the Finnish Lapland centuries ago, the movie tells the story of Nikolas, who becomes an orphan at a young age and has to live in a different family every year, changing families every Christmas. Then one year he is taken in by a grumpy and scary old carpenter, who teaches him the tricks of the trade. The idea of giving back to those who had helped him during his childhood is Nikolas’ first step towards becoming the person we today know as Santa Claus. The movie was a huge hit in Finland when it was released, and it has also been received well abroad. This movie, despite its plot, is more down-to-earth than many other Christmas movies and is sure to tug on your heart-strings!

The Holiday (2006)

When talking about corny and romantic Christmas movies, The Holiday is usually the first one that comes to mind. But as one of the main characters, Iris, says: “I like corny. I’m looking for corny in my life.” What we also love about The Holiday is the mash-up of British and American actors and the visibly good chemistry between them. The basic plot of the movie is that two women, American Amanda and British Iris, decide to swap houses for Christmas. This of course leads to all kinds of fun confusing situations, bumping into cute men and having serious reflections on life. This is the perfect movie to watch when having a girl’s night!

Love Actually (2003)

Saving the best for last, Love Actually is the king and queen of all Christmas movies. Nothing can top that witty yet awkward British humor, the sympathetic characters and Hugh Grant dancing to Pointer Sisters’ Jump (For My Love) before being caught by his secretary. This movie simply has it all: romance, tragedy, comedy (lots of it) and just overall happiness. The story revolves around numerous different characters during Christmastime, and all of their paths are somehow intertwined, which means you get multiple stories with the price of one. There are so many amazing actors and lovable characters that this movie is bound to appeal to all kinds of tastes. If you’ve for some incomprehensible reason never seen Love Actually, you should go do it now, asap. 

Honorable Mentions:

Rare Exports (2010)  — For a darker and more adult taste

Home Alone (1990) — For anyone, really

The Polar Express (2004) — For those who appreciate breathtaking visuals

Picture by Pixabay

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome.