david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Top 7 Budget-friendly Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Halloween is almost here, which means it’s time to decide what you want to wear for all the amazing parties you’ve been invited to.The task, however, might be harder than it seems, especially for a student. The costumes sold online or in masquerade shops can be really expensive and seem like a huge investment, especially if you’re already struggling with your finances. But luckily, with a bit of help from some old clothes from the back of your drawer, creating a fabulous costume is not only easy but also incredibly cheap. So without further ado, here’s a list of seven Halloween costumes that look gorgeous but cost you nearly nothing at all!

1. Powerpuff Girls

This is a great idea for a group costume with your friends! Powerpuff girls is a beloved animation series with three small children, who protect their city from the forces of evil. Their look isn’t hard to recreate. One of you can wear a green dress like Buttercup does in the series. For Bubbles you’ll need a blue dress and pigtails and as for Blossom, a red dress and a ponytail will do the trick. If dresses aren’t really your thing, you can also wear a colourful shirt. Cute and simple!

2. Black cat

This one’s a classic. As for clothing, all you need is a pair of black, tight trousers and a matching shirt. A tale can be easily made with a black piece of fabric. To separate your outfit from, well, pretty much any normal person just wearing black, draw yourself whiskers using for example black eyeliner. And don’t forget dramatic, cat-like eyes! You can buy a pair of ears from children’s toy store with a couple of euros, but as an alternative you can make yourself two buns on the top of your head. Easy!

3. Men in Black

Men in Black is an iconic sci-fi movie from the 90’s. The main characters are known for their stylish suits and black glasses. Not a very complicated costume, right? If you don’t own a suit yourself, it’s time to visit your boyfriend’s, girlfriend’s or just friend’s wardrobe who happens to own one. Don’t forget to ask for permission, though! Pair the suit up with a pair of sunglasses and a white shirt and you’re good to go!

4. Pin-up look

For this outfit, visit your parents’ or grandparents’ wardrobe. There isn’t really one way to do pin-up, so just see what kind of vintage clothes you can find and go with the coolest ones. Your hairdo and makeup are going to be what really sets you apart. If you search for “Vintage hair and makeup tutorial” on YouTube you’ll find tons of step-to-step videos teaching you how to recreate iconic looks from different decades. Pick your favourite and you’re ready to light up the party!

5. Baywatch

This look is daring if there ever was one. If you’ve seen Baywatch movie from 2017, you know that the main characters mostly wear nothing but swimsuits. So the outfit is definitely easy to recreate, but it sure does take a lot of courage. On the other hand, here is a great chance to impress your crush who won’t be able to take their eyes off of you all evening! Just make sure to bring something warm with you as well so you won’t freeze on the way home!

6. Fairy

This outfit is a dream-come-true for anyone who loves to knit. If you search Google for “Fairy wings knitting pattern”, you’ll find easy instructions for knitting your own, lovely fairy wings. All you need is a ball of yarn, knitting needles and a bit of time. Let your hair flow freely or braid some proportion of it and wear your prettiest summer dress. For makeup you’ll want to use gentle pastel shades. This outfit will not only make you feel beautiful but lets you show off how skilled you are in handcraft!

7. Ghost

This outfit is by far the easiest one yet. It’s the kind of costume you want to wear if the party’s beginning in half an hour and you’re still laying in bed with tangled hair and no makeup watching Netflix. If dressing up just seems like insurmountable challenge right then, that’s okay, because you won’t need to do that for this costume. Just find an old, white bed sheet, cut a few holes through it so that you’ll be able to see something and you’re done! The best part? You won’t even have to comb your hair or put on any makeup since no one will be seeing your face anyways!

Lotta Nieminen

Helsinki '24

I study social science and when I don't I really like to look at butterflies, take naps and think about how I'm going to make the world a better place some day.
Helsinki Contributor