Culture > News

They Can’t Stop the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

What a spring it has been. I think that in the beginning of February we had no idea what was coming at us. In the beginning of March, we had this eerie feeling that maybe something was coming after all. And now we are living our daily lives in what is called a state of emergency. Huh.

Depending on your current situation, you might be affected in more or less severe ways by the pandemic, but at least we can all take solace in the fact that we are all in this together. And as much as I am the child of the gloomiest, darkest time of the year, there is no doubt that everything becomes easier when there is more light. In the city of Helsinki, the last winter was one of the most depressing ones I can remember when it comes to the weather, and it is relieving that we can finally and definitely call it ‘last’ and not ‘ongoing’.

Allowedly, the last months have brought us many setbacks. From my point of view, the Eurovision Song Contest being cancelled seems to be a sign of the whole summer being postponed – after all, there is no May without the contest. For others, the cancellation of the parties of the First of May or their favourite summer festivals might have a similar significance. Will there be any summer at all?

The key is to find remedy in the so called ‘small’ things, that maybe aren’t so small after all. I once again take myself as an example: for me the one thing that no one can ever take away from me is my creativity. It allows me to escape almost any kind of situation, is a huge, almost never-ending resource, and is, obviously, completely free of charge. Yeah, talk about little things!

This spring has been out of the ordinary in many ways, and it has also affected our work here at Her Campus Helsinki. We have been writing a lot about the current situation and quarantine – voluntarily but also out of necessity – yet we have tried our best to maintain the positive undertone of our chapter. We have shared tips for readings, audiobooks, workouts, cooking, baking, home spa and decorating, to mention a few examples. If we’ve had one ongoing theme, it has been self-care and self-love. Once in a while, take a step out of the endless ‘oughts’ and ‘shoulds’, and you’ll find it easier to understand other people too!

Whatever comes our way, so too will the spring and the summer. For me at least, real summer is not the weather, not the things that are happening around me, not the summer job, nor exactly the places I go to – the real summer is the feeling of summer, only rarely reached on these busy days, but still potentially always there to find.

On behalf of the whole team, I wish you find your relaxing summer!

HCXO,

Siiri Sinko

Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Helsinki

Siiri Sinko

Helsinki '21

The author is a student of political history in the University of Helsinki. She is a sensible freak who enjoys the fine little details of life. Her interests and hobbies include history, music, visual arts, cartoons, national symbols and international competitions.