This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

For the first time, I will spend part of my Summer in Helsinki, so I have no idea what to expect. But, here is my bucket list for this Summer that hopefully will inspire you.

Eat lots of ice cream

This one should be a given, but from what I have noticed, Finns really like ice cream. As soon as the sun shines a bit more, there are carts of ice cream everywhere in Helsinki, so I intend to make use of them (not super extensively, though, as they are extremely expensive ;)).

Go to the beach

Yet another obvious one. However, I do want to make a habit out of this (when the temperature reaches at least 17 degrees, that is). I know that I will probably not live on the seacoast forever, so I want to appreciate it as much as possible.

When it is too cold to go to the beach, just go on a picnic

Helsinki is full of nice parks and now with so much daylight, there is no excuse to skip a picnic with a few friends. Just drinking, reading outside and people-watching is a lot of fun!

GO ON more day trips

Also, the fact that there is so much daylight makes day trips worth it. Even if it means hopping on a train or a bus for 1 hour, I want to explore a bit more of the national parks, little towns, and islands.

Go to the sauna

Of course, you cannot be in Finland without going to the sauna. However, especially on the coldest days, I am not the biggest fan of going to the sauna and then to the sea/lake. I did it for the experience, but I am done now. I just want to actually enjoy it, which I do when it is above 15 degrees outside.

Celebrate Midsummer

I think this one speaks for itself.

Go on a cottage weekend

If there is one thing that I love about Finnish culture, it is the cottage lifestyle. I want to make sure I go, at least once, to a cottage as it matches the energy that I want to channel for my Summer.

Do nothing

Just so. Even though I want to complete my bucket list, I also want to leave space for improvising and for actually just existing, if possible. We spend most of our lives making elaborate plans and trying to fill up our agendas with events, and to be honest, I need to unwind a bit.

Ana Leandro

Helsinki '22

Student of Politics and Communication with a huge passion for film and travelling.