burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

As a Her Campus in Helsinki contributor who is mostly interested in fashion whether its writing about it or organizing fun photoshoots on personal style, I have decided to take advantage of my position and turn a part of the magazine’s content into my own fashion blog. With the help of our amazing photographer Maija Huitu I will share my thoughts and ideas on outfits for a young female student.

For this photoshoot Maija and I went to the House of the Estates. What a stunning building! It felt a tad odd to take pictures in front of a place where people actually work, but it always does, right? And the design of the building was just perfectly complimenting the outfit I was wearing, so how about focusing on that one more. 

In the photos I am wearing quite a simple cream sweater with half pom-poms/polka dot type of print with a black cotton skirt and black tights (it’s still quite cold in Helsinki, duh). The ensemble is very simple and can be easily interpreted to fit anyone’s personal style. Just let your imagination do its thing and play with colors, materials and styles, so it would also fit your own body type because let’s be honest – what fits and suits one woman doesn’t necessary work for all the others!  

I personally prefer calm, cool colors that can easily be mixed and matched with most of the clothes in my wardrobe. Also, I feel like my skin tone doesn’t really like bright colors. I know it sounds strange but that’s how it is! In addition, it seems to me like these very down-to-earth shades of cream, black, blue and grey are very versatile in the occasion/event department. You can to wear such attire to school, work, a date or just to go out for a cup of coffee with a friend.  

I decided to accessorize the outfit with a shiny polyester backpack which is both practical and very stylish, especially for a working student always on the run. The backpack is also waterproof, which helps a lot in this unpredictable Finnish weather! The same goes for sneakers: comfortable, stylish and convenient. It seems that these days you can wear them with everything without breaking dress code rules, just adjusting those to fit personal needs throughout the busy day. The pom-pom hat and the jacket are as much of a necessity as an accessory in this sunny but still cold weather! 

And last but not least – the jewelry. I do believe that no matter how simple the outfit is, the jewelry can put it all together and either add an edge or make the ensemble look more polished and classy. I am a big fan of earrings, so those are a must have every single day. Studs work for me the best and these silver ones are my to-go ones! They were also given to me by my dad which makes them twice as special to wear basically every day. The necklace is made with fake pearls – modest, yet classy. As for the bracelets, I have chosen the metallic ones with a print from back when I was a teenager. Some things just seem to work no matter what age.   

Clothes & Accessories: 

• Sweater – Mango 
  • Skirt – Stradivarius 
  • Tights – H&M 
  • Sneakers – Nike 
  • Jacket – Zara 
  • Hat – H&M 
  • Backpack – Zara 
  • Necklace – H&M 
  • Earrings & Bracelets – gifts

Photo credit: Maija Huitu

Helsinki Contributor