Life > Experiences

Studies abroad: why you should consider them too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

I bet you have thought about switching the landscape and studying abroad. Every year, students pack their bags and travel to another country to see the world and experience something new. I guess the most obvious reasons to study abroad are related to different career advantages or developing one’s language skills. However, as a by-product of that exchange, we get so much more than just a B2-level of foreign language and a line in our CV. In this article, I listed some other benefits of studying abroad.

Gain some experience. Living alone in a foreign country might be a stressful experience because it requires you to be independent and take care of yourself. During this journey, you will face many unknown things and you will likely end up in awkward situations. However, try to look at this as an exciting challenge at the end of which you will gain self-reliance, independence, and self-awareness. I am sure that years later you will remember this journey with huge warmth and a smile on your face. 

Participate in cultural exchange. Yes, you will dive deep into the culture of your chosen country, brush up on your language skills, and taste new local food. Yet, it is not that simple. While living abroad, you inevitably share information about your country of origin with local people. This cultural exchange will help you to see your own culture through a new lens and educate other people about your background. It will also help you to develop cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication skills, which is a huge advantage for living in our globalized world.

Shake things up. Let’s be honest. Once in a while we all get tired and bored. Studying abroad is quite a safe way to spice up life. You will be able to move forward with your studies while experiencing something new. Especially with the help of different available funding programs, spending semester or two abroad should not be a unconquerable problem.

Change and variety are exactly what make life worth living. Just give this idea a thought.

My name is Diana and I am an English major at the University of Helsinki. Love books, writing and studying languages.