Style > Beauty

Skincare issues | 5 mistakes you probably make in your cleaning routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Facial cleansing is like a hair wash: it is absolutely necessary and you can not claim to have healthy, clean skin if you do not cleanse it properly. And while most of us believe that it is not a difficult process that requires professional tips, we often make small mistakes that deprive us of the opportunity to get the smooth, radiant skin we dream of.

Do you know what “textured skin” is and what exactly it concerns?

It is very important to start paying more attention to (proper) cleansing, so that other skincare products (moisturizing, serum) can give all their boosting effects to our skin.

So, what are those little mistakes that we all make from time to time?

1. You are using the wrong formulas

The most common mistake in skincare, is not to use the right products for your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin, it is not possible to use cleansers that are aimed at dry skin and so on. The key to a radiant, healthy skin is to first understand what skin type you belong to and choose products that target your unique needs.
Therefore, if you have dry skin you probably need extra hydration so it is not advisable to choose a cleanser that will dehydrate your skin even more. Look for ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides or niacinamide, which will provide all the moisture your skin needs. If you still have sensitive skin and many compositions bother you, look for a mild cleanser that will not irritate you even more. For oily skin, hyaluronic acid and niacinamide are also ingredients that will help you get rid of excess oil and impurities without leaving the skin dry.

2. You rub your skin furiously

One mistake we make almost unconsciously is rubbing our skin hard as we apply cleansing soap. The stronger the rubbing, the easier the chance of injuring the surface of the skin and cause redness and any kind of irritation. Treat your skin as if it were something valuable (which it is) and you do not want it to break: make gentle, gentle movements and do not rush. Take a few extra minutes to do it right and not in a hurry.

3. You do not do proper make-up removal (or not at all)

Many times you may be tired and want to teleport to your bed right away, skipping the make-up remover. Big mistake! The more often you do that, the worst the consequences to the skin. Not only should you not skip it no matter how tired you are, but now it is recommended to prefer double cleansing, i.e. cleaning in two phases with two different products: a balm or cleansing oil that will remove most of your makeup and sunscreen, and a second water-based cleanser (cleansing gel or water) that will thoroughly cleanse the skin and remove any residue while replenishing moisture.

4. Wash your face twice a day (or more)

There is a general theory that the more often you wash your face, the better. And while this may be true in some exceptional cases (eg very oily skin with a tendency to acne), generally it may have the exact opposite effect. Frequent washing removes the beneficial oils from the skin, resulting in the skin over-producing oil to cover this deficiency. In other cases it is left dry and with an annoying feeling of pulling. Adjust the frequency according to your personal needs.

5. You use a lot of acids

Acids are the … sirens of skincare products. The results they can give to the skin are so impressive that even experienced skincare aficionadas get carried away and use them all together. It is wrong to use AHA Ή BHA (eg salicylic, lactic, glycolic acid) on top of each other at the same time, as it can irritate your skin, especially if you are a beginner in the skincare “sports” or have sensitive skin.

It is recommended to always use an acid combined with an active ingredient that will help repair the skin barrier, such as ceramides.

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.