Wellness > Mental Health

Seasonal Depression – Why Everyone Doesn’t Love Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Autumn is here. The leaves have turned yellow and red, the nights have gotten darker and the weather colder. It’s time to curl up on the sofa with your favourite book and a steaming cup of tea, all cozy and warm while the wind is howling outside. Autumn is many people’s favourite season and I can see why. However, my thoughts here are not for praising autumn. If you like autumn, that’s great! But personally, I’m not a fan of the season and since I have seen many people write articles about why autumn is so great, I thought that to balance things out I’d give a different perspective on the topic.

I don’t deny that autumn can be absolutely beautiful with the trees being all red and yellow. But it can also be very ugly. When the leaves have fallen, all that is left are bare trees that won’t be covered with snow for a while. I don’t know about other people but I don’t find that too pretty. Besides, half of the time you can’t even see the pretty views since it’s too dark, or, it’s raining outside and you don’t want to go out because you’ll just get your clothes and shoes wet.

To me, one of the worst things about autumn is the weather getting colder. I’m definitely not a fan of the cold and would very much prefer the temperature to stay above 20 degrees celsius all year long. I can see why some people like the cold weather; it’s nice to stay inside wrapped in a warm blanket when you know the weather outside is rainy and chilly. Unfortunately, you can’t stay wrapped in that blanket all the time and going outside becomes kind of mandatory if you want to go out and eat, for example – unless you have all your food delivered to your house, which is common now, but sadly also costs a lot of money. So no matter how much you try to avoid going outside, you’ll have to do it every now and then and then you’ll probably get wet and cold, which is not ideal.

In the autumn it gets a lot darker and you get to see the sun a lot less than in the summer. Some people aren’t really phased by this but I personally feel like my energy is disappearing with the sun. I tend to wake up really late in the autumn because there is no sun to wake me up early. I try to get things done in the couple of hours when there’s light, but then it gets dark again really quickly and during the dark hours all I want to do is sleep. Generally, then, doing things and being productive just gets harder for me in the autumn. Of course, winters are also dark, but then there’s usually snow on the ground which makes it appear less dark compared to the late autumn. In the early spring you start to feel okay because you know there’s more light every day and soon it’ll be summer. In the autumn, on the other hand, you know that it’s only going to get worse.

My thoughts here are quite gloomy, but I guess what I want to say is that please take it easy on people who are not fans of autumn. Seasonal depression is real and it can sometimes make people’s lives quite difficult. If you know people who get moody in the autumn, that might be the reason. We try our best to stay cheerful, please try your best to understand our struggle. Now, I think I’m going to curl up in a warm blanket on my sofa, make myself a cup of tea, pick up a good book and maybe even light a scented candle. Luckily autumn has some of its advantages.

Lotta Nieminen

Helsinki '24

I study social science and when I don't I really like to look at butterflies, take naps and think about how I'm going to make the world a better place some day.