books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Reading Tips: 5 Novels to Read NOW!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

School might be taking a lot of your time, but there’s no reason why you shouldn’t read something other than Norton Anthology and Shakespeare. Here are some of the latest books that are guaranteed to entertain and take your mind off of the never-ending school stress.

Felicia Day: You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) (Aug 2015)

Day’s autobiography is a look into the geek queen’s busy life from the akward teenage years to her current endeavors. She tells all about her modeling days, acting career, as well as starting her own business. The narration is like having a chat with your geeky, but awesome, older sister. How can one not fall in love with her?

Betsy Cornwell: Mechanica (Aug 2015)

This gorgeous steampunk retelling of the classic fairytale Cinderella centers around an inventor – Nicolette – who finds her prince but realizes she does not need him for the happy ending after all. This is a tale of a kickass heroine who happens to be a genius, not so much a damsel in distress.

With retellings of fairytales so much in fashion, this one steps it up a notch with the most feminist Cinderella yet!

Mindy Kaling: Why Not Me? (Sep 2015)

Mindy Kaling’s second book is guaranteed to be just as big of a laugh fest as the first one: laughs, awkwardness, and drama make it a Kaling original. Keeping true to her candid style, she tells all about her weight struggles, adulthood, and life in Hollywood in her deeply personal essays.

If you love The Mindy Project, funny comediennes, The Office, and witty remarks – this book is the one for you!

Terry Pratchett: The Shepherd’s Crown (Sep 2015)

Terry Pratchett’s last book, the 41st Discworld novel, centers around the witch, Tiffany Aching. This is a must read for anyone who loves Discworld and the wee free men, the Nac Mac Feegle (who are also featured in the story).

The only thing you even need to know about this book is the appearance of a devilish smart goat named Mephistopheles. Enough said!

Kim Liggett: Blood and Salt (Sep 2015)

Liggett’s novel tells the story of a 17-year-old Ash Larkin, whose mother flees from home only to join a cult she once managed to escape. Ash follows her to seek answers to the mysteries of their family and the seemingly charming – but dangerous – town of Quivira. An awaited ceremony is about to take place and Ash must race against time before all is lost…

This book is filled with mystery, drama, and horror – perfect for those dark, fall evenings that are soon upon us.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor