Protect Yourself from the Sun – with Style!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Before you run off to the holidays, read our tips on how you can protect yourself from the sun – and still look stylish!

• Use sunscreen. We know it’s a no-brainer and you’ve heard it a hundred times. But be honest, do you use sunscreen every time you go out? Exactly. These days there are LOTS of great products out in the market that are super light and absorb fast, so being afraid of thick creams that will leave white stains all over your body and make your skin feel oily is no excuse anymore! Get a thin sunscreen spray that is invisible so you can spray it even to the harder spots, like on your back, and there will be no visible lines out there. Or you could even get an SPF oil with extra shine that will take your summer glow to a whole new level! 
  • Make use of the SPF on make-up. During the summer you don’t want to clog your pores with thick layers of foundation. However, you still might want some coverage on the red and uneven spots on your face. Instead of your usual foundation, try a BB cream with an SPF! BB creams are really thin and they will not only give you light coverage but also hydrate your skin and protect it from the UV rays. Add some bronzer and lip gloss with added SPF and you’re ready to go!
  • Don’t forget your hat and sunglasses at home. A summer hat with a wide brim is not only fashionable but also a great way to avoid harmful UV rays. A hat will protect your hair from drying out and also shades your face from most of the rays. If a big hat feels too hard to handle, try covering your hair with a scarf tied into a turban or in the 1950s style. Also, get yourself a pair of big sunglasses that are the best way to protect the sensitive eye area from the aging effects of the sun. In a few years, your silky smooth eye areas will thank you for taking care of them now.
  • Dress up. No one wants to put on thick layers of clothes on a warm summer day but the truth is that clothes are the best way to protect yourself from the sun. Try a colorful sarong that you can wear as a skirt or a dress, or tie it up as a turban around your head. Loose clothes made from thin natural fibers, such as cotton, linen and silk, might actually make you feel cooler than tiny tops and shorts as they keep the hottest sun rays off from direct contact with your skin.
  • Use a self-tanning lotion. There are so many different kinds of self tanners (that smell nice!) out there these days that there’s really no reason to toast yourself at the beach to get some color. Try a few different tanners already in May so you’ll find the best one for you in time for the holidays and get the healthiest tan of the summer. However, less is more with self tanners too. Orange skin hasn’t been IN since the 1990s.
  • Get a parasol. If you insist on spending the hottest hours of the day at the beach, get yourself a big and stylish parasol. It will cover you from the most burning sun rays and add a personal accessory to your beach style. Try, for example, matching your parasol with your bikinis or get a really bright-colored eye-catcher that won’t leave you unnoticed. 

If you still get burned in the sun – hydrate, hydrate and hydrate. Burned skin needs a lot of moisturizing to recover and especially products that contain Aloe Vera will make your skin feel instantly better because of their cooling effect. Make sure to cover up from sun extra carefully for the rest of the summer, because repeatedly burned skin is more prone to skin cancer. If you notice any weird changes in your skin, such as dark or large moles, check them with a nurse.

Have a great and safe summer holidays, collegiettes!

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.