gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Non-Cheesy Movies for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up! Use it as an excuse to curl up under a blanket and watch a decent movie about relationships – the good and the bad, between friends and between lovers. Here are a few films you may have missed that are not the most obvious Hollywood love stories, but which will make you truly appreciate the people who stick around you no matter what. 

Frances Ha  (2012)

This black and white hipster dream follows 27-year-old Frances as she is trying to figure out her life in New York. Watching her stumble through life and eventually survive makes you feel calmer about your own uncertain future, and the movie is also a refreshing reminder that the most significant relationship in your life can be the one with your best friend. 

Bridesmaids (2011)

There are thousands of comedies about a group of men doing silly things, but this movie is one of the few that portrays a group of women being just as gross and funny. It tells about Annie who joins her best friend’s bridesmaids’ team, moving from one absurd situation to another. Guaranteed to make you laugh and feel grateful for your friends, even the annoying ones. 

Harold and Maude (1971)

This peculiar and heartwarming cult classic portrays the unlikely relationship between a somber young man called Harold and a sunshiny older lady called Maude. The film shows how life-changing people can come in the most surprising packages, so it’s best to keep your mind and your heart open. 

Before Sunrise (1995),  Before Sunset (2004), Before Midnight (2013) 

And, finally, some perfectly imperfect romance in this trilogy about Celine and Jesse. There are nine years between each movie: the first one is full of reckless youth and attraction while things get more and more complicated as years go by. The trilogy is sweet, intelligent and funny, and it gives a realistic portrayal of a relationship with its ups and downs. 

Helsinki Contributor