No Ideas for Christmas Gifts Yet? Here’s What You Should Get This Christmas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Only a couple more weeks left until Christmas and many of us still don’t have a clue about what we should get for our nearest and dearest. Maybe you would like to get some easy and quick gift ideas to avoid getting your head around the hustle. No need to worry, here’s a list of ideas that might help you through the Christmas bustle!

1. Buy or Reserve Something Local

Buying local products or consuming local services (for example, reserving a dinner for two in a nearby restaurant, buying a gift card to a local spa, buying local handmade products or art) is a wonderful idea of getting something nice and thoughtful for your loved ones, that also helps your local entrepreneurs struggling with the current economic situation. Even though this year’s local Christmas markets are mainly cancelled and postponed until next year, some companies organise Christmas markets providing local products online! A woolly hat or handmade jewellery will definitely lift up the Christmas spirit, but also help the companies in need!

2. Buy an Immaterial Gift

We have all received at least one gift that we did not really need, or maybe the Christmas jumper you got couple of years ago is still unused because it was a bit too big and you just never put it on after Christmas Day. In recent years, one of the biggest Christmas gift trends has definitely been immaterial gifts. For example, nowadays there are many different streaming websites for music, movies or games, so what would be a better idea than playing games or watching animated movies with the family during Christmas? Or if you want to up your Christmas gift game you can give some money for charity on behalf of somebody else!

3. Create and Organise Something Yourself

A good thing to remember is that you don’t always have to buy something to give gifts. A promise written on a card like “I would like to take you for a walk every second day in January” or “Let’s listen some music and read together” or “let’s start a new hobby together” would be a great and memorable gift, especially for elderly folks! What would be a better gift than some quality time with the person you love?

4. Fix Something That Is Broken Or Recycle Something

Do you have something that you don’t need anymore, but you know someone else would need and enjoy? One good idea for this Christmas would be to pass forward for example the old book you’ve already read, but you know someone else would like it. Maybe you could even add a tiny note explaining why it was so good. Or maybe you would like to give someone something of yours that is dear to you and share the joy?

Hello! I am a language enthusiast studying at the Helsinki university. In my writings, I always try to use current topics, and I especially enjoy writing about DIY and crafts ideas!
Helsinki Contributor