This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The evolving corona crisis has evoked conflicting emotions in me. Even though I have not experienced notable symptoms so far, the situation is nonetheless anxiety-inducing on several levels. As I follow unsettling news from across the globe from my private quarantine, I feel increasingly detached from the rest of the world. As someone who was already largely isolated from other people due to a rigorous thesis writing period, I am no stranger to social distancing. The diminishing of social contacts has thus not had an immense impact on me although I do miss the option of real face-to-face interactions.

Above all, this virus has had a nerve-wracking effect on my routines. As library and other public spaces have always been pivotal to my academic writing, the sudden absence of daily routines has generated chaos in my life. As a creature of habit, being forced to stay at home has indeed challenged my sense of control. On a broader level, I can imagine this new insecurity to be particularly troubling for people struggling with structure and discipline. 

While writing these lines, I’m also aware of the pettiness of my mundane problems in the midst of a global pandemic. With my selfish concerns, I’m in a fortunate position that I should be grateful for. Nevertheless, uncertainty touches on most of us in one way or another, as future plans have to be canceled or postponed.

Naturally, I have also pondered this health crisis from the perspective of worldwide integration. Although I like to think of myself as conscious of the processes of globalization, I have been struck by the effects of this pandemic on my own intercultural relations. In fact, I have become more convinced of my transnational aspirations and longings. It disheartens me that I may not be able to travel abroad to study, work, do voluntary service and complete an internship as planned. These are only some ways in which freedom of movement and global interconnectivity are at risk.

To use clichés, I wish patience for everyone grappling with corona anxiety as well as wisdom to have mercy on themselves in these trying times. Self-compassion indeed cannot be overstated. As alluded to, my self-discipline has greatly suffered from this adjustment. Now I’m slowly beginning to establish new routines, which will hopefully enable diligent study.

Helsinki Contributor